T1 and T2

jopar

borofergie said:
jopar said:
No it's the excess amount of carbs that eating creating excess fuel to be stored..

How did this woman manage to "over-indulge" her lower torso, and not her upper torso?
lipodystrophy.png

If obesity is just down to over-consumption of fuel, why isn't she fat all over?

Answers on a post-card please.

So every time a debate occurs about diets, we have to put in a NB, that when we refer to an individual being a NON-diabetic, that we mean individuals who have no other medical condition or medication, where a side effect of that condition or medication is weight gain!

Problem with throwing up examples like that one, is no medical history, no information on diet she followed, so who knows whether they diet she ate did or didn't exasperate or relieve her condition!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Stephen,
Your photo shows a problem known in only about 200 cases worldwide. She didn't just put on weight in a peculiar pattern. "It is a progressive loss of fat, which first involves the face, spreads distally to the neck, arms, and trunk; the lower part of the body is usually spared ." ie a gradual failure of fat cells to 'hold' fat. In compensation it seems fat has to go somewhere and is laid down in the fat cells not yet affected.It is obviously a dysregulated lipid system that causes the problem, why how I don't think anyone knows .
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1082489-overview

You might also want to consider a similar/related and equally rare disorder. A person who takes needs to take 2000 units of insulin a day, yet is not superficially obese. (yet does have a very fatty liver)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 4-0003.pdf (very old paper but has a picture!)
Could we use that picture as an argument against the thesis that hyperinsulinaemia caused by carb intake causes obesity/diabetes ? Personally, I don't think either is relevant except in the fact that lipid dysregulation seems to play a big factor in the development of diabetes,(interestingly some subtle changes seem to precede childhood T1). There may be several reasons for this dysregulation (and no I'm not going to go into it because I don't think that this was what the thread was about)

I was going to post to the original topic.
Lets just say, I have LADA, I have actually had diabetes for over 10 years now but diagnosed with T1 for 7. I managed to keep things under control for 3 years using a careful diet and a great deal of exercise.(some running but mostly walking, gardening and the odd bit of demolition)
Since diagnosis I have had a good diabetes education at the hospital both with other T1s and in a mixed group of T1/T2 When first diagnosed with T1(1.5)
I also turned to the internet and learned a lot from a US forum. More recently, I have acted as an informal interpreter with T2s during consultations with the dietitian . I know what is taught and how well it can work. I have met many people on the internet who have used various methods to control their diabetes well. There used to be a phrase, your diabetes may vary. I think that it is being forgotten.

I read a lot, initally because it was difficult to ask the questions I wanted to in French but later through interest. I had to go back to basics with some things and had to do a lot of background reading in biochemistry to enable me to read some of the things I wanted to read. (I already knew something about the physiology of the brain but not much more) Through my reading I think I have gained quite a bit of knowledge about all types of diabetes.I'm convinced that there are many variations ( I don't think my LADA is exactly the same as childhood onset T1 but even with that there may be varieties (look up LADY!) . Type 2 being a broad mixture of insulin deficiency and insulin resistance is I believe a catch-all category which is why I believe strongly in YDMV.

As some people have stated quite strongly there dislikes I'll add mine.
I dislike it when someone seems to think 'Oh you can just take more insulin'. Well lets just say if I did that I wouldn't have the good control I have. I find it quite amusing that when I meet a group of English people for coffee I'm the only one there that never eats a biscuit, even though several of the others have type 2.
If I have a high blood glucose level I'll do what most (I know not all) can do, I'll use up that extra glucose before I eat . Yesterday, I had problems all day (probably due to a pump issue, now solved). When I was 9mmol/l before dinner, I did some exercise so that when I eventually ate my levels were back in the 4s.
I also feel that there are big misunderstandings about using a pump. People have them for several reasons, quite often because they have fluctuations in levels... people needing more insulin at some times and less at others.
I had an HbA1c of 4.9% pre pump so it definitely wasn't to stop highs or to enable me to eat lots of extra carbs but to enable me to cut the basal insulin at times when I need almost none .

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Jopar

I am not trying to quote you out of context. All I am simply trying to do is to persuade you that the language you used was provocative to some of us. It was, it provoked both me, borofergie and others. If you didn't mean it to be provocative then just say so.

The distinction between fat and thin T2's in my mind is quite misleading. We all know of people diabetics or not who complain "they can just look at something" and the pounds go on. Now I actually tend to believe many (not all) of them as I know some. I also know people who can eat loads and be far more indulgent and never put a pound on. For what ever reason some people can eat relatively normally and for what ever reason, be it genetic or environmental or a combination of both they experience weight gain. A proportion of those people go onto to develop T2.

Now my point is Jopar I used the neutral phrase "weight gain" in that previous sentence whereas you have been using the phrase "over indulged" and other phrases which have other socially unacceptable connotations, much like the connotations we saw in those Facebook and Guardian posts yesterday that I'm sure all of us with rational heads would disagree with.

All I am asking is that when you used your phrases that it was meant in that neutral way? Like I said in the other thread I'm sure you DID mean to use it in that language neutral fashion. If that is the case then we have no disagreement and we can move on.

Grazer

jopar said:
We've heard another argument for slim T2's that even they seemed to be process all foods they ate, and the body increased it's insulin production to counter react the fuel, yet didn't lay down fat! But T2 is based on that because of this increased production the supplies of insulin is wearing out! Which turns theories upside down in many ways, as why didn't they put on weight when 'over production' causes weight gain!

I think that was the point I was making that you disagreed with :?: :***: