T1 Diabetes and Pregnancy

siobpea

Hi All,

Just wondered if anyone has any advice regarding T1 diabetes and pregnancy?

I've been diabetic for almost 28 years (I'm currently 29) with various levels of control. Over the past few years, my A1cs have been as low as 5.2 and as high as 11.0 (to be honest - most have been on the higher side). My last kidney test (6 months ago) was all ok, but I do have mild-moderate non-proliferative retinopathy (I go for a scan every 3-6 months, and sometimes they say it is mild, and other times moderate, and then back to mild!).

I know someone who has diabetes for as long as I did, and died after her second pregnancy (she delivered at 24.6 weeks!!) - and so currently that is my only experience.

Basically, I'm pretty sure I could have a successful pregnancy, but am more worried about the long term effect - it's not just about me, it's about making sure a baby will have a healthy Mom for years.

Does anyone have any advice, thoughts, opinions or experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Nicklenocky

Hi Siobpea

I dont really have any advice, just my current experience. I am interested in your thread as I am T1 who is currently 14 weeks pregnant.

The pregnancy was not planned, but I very much want the baby. I believe I conceived around the 8.2 mark which as we know is quite high, I have since managed to get it down to 6.2 but was gutted to find out yesterday that it went up to 6.4. I must say that trying to get blood within the very tight range is extremely difficult and I dont quite achieve it, as a result of really trying i suffer a lot of hypos, but I dont really know how i can avoid them at the moment. As a result I test many, many times a day (which luckily I can afford to do) and wake up 3 times a night, I feel that my fear of having a very bad hypo during the night is effecting me pyschologically hence why I set my alarm during the night (i must add that I work in a different country during the week so dont have my husband next to me). From a control point of view I believe you would have to test, test and test!

Like you, I do worry about the future, whether I will have a healthy baby, will I survive, will I get lots of complications. At the end of the day, we can only try our best, I believe we can have a successful pregnancy and its this hope that keeps me going. I have faith that when the pregnancy is over, I have enough determination to ensure I get my diabetes back on track and be the best mum I can be. Complications can arise in pregnancy in both diabetic and non-diabetic women, so I think we just need to think positive, stay strong and remain focused! Good luck!

Leeds Lass

Hi Siobpea

You should read Bethany Rose's blog, it's called "Me with D" (it will come up if you put that into google). She's pregnant with her second baby now and is Type 1. I love reading it and i'm sure that reading it you may relate to some of the things she has to say.

Take car
LL x

Meg2009Arm

Hi Siobpea

I am not classed type 1 now (type 2) but when I was pregnant at 28 weeks I was tested routinely and to my horror found to be diabetic with such high BG tests that they said I most probably had been for quite a while. They treated me as type 1 through my pregnancy with 4 insulin injectons a day. Took a while to stablise my levels and even then as the pregnancy progressed I needed more and more insulin. Very scary experience when your pregnant and now have someone else to look after. All I can say is that I now have a healthy 3 year old and there were no complicatons. Your doctor should keep a very tight check on you, I had extra growth scans to make sure she wasn't getting too big. I even had a diabetes nurse ring me at work most weeks to get my daily BS readings and to ask what I had eaten that day. Just eat really healthly and go for walks etc but try not too worry too much. Your baby will give you a whole new reason to look after yourself and will probably be the begining of a whole new healther you. Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy. :D
Meg

fraser89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey,

I am Type 1 Diabetic, 22 years old and have 3 children all born healthy, are regularly checked for diabetes and so far none have any signs indicating its been passed on. My A1C is usually aroun 13 at the beginning of my pregnancies and goes down to around 7-8 during. the only problem i have had that relates to my diabetes is all 3 of my children weighed 3.6Kgs (give or take a few 100Grms no joke!!) and were delievered early (only 3-4 weeks so safe early) my son how ever was earlier but that had nothing to do with my diabetes.

During the pregnancy you will visit a special team who will monitor you regularly, constantly check your urine for any infections as well as having extra scans done to follow the growth of the baby, this is done to all diabetics regardless of previous control. Diabetes does not generally cause any issues with pregnancy or the delivery, you wil be monitored closely throught out both occasions and may have to have a slightly extended stay in hospital to keep an eye on babies blood sugars to satisfy the Drs (annoying little habit they have). I wound try to find out what caused your friends death as i cant see how her diabetes would have affected this, i have met many diabetic who have gone through pregnancy and child birth without any complications and Meg is right I have found that my kids give me a reason to stay healthy and control my diabetes, without them i think i would have failed a long time ago.

Good luck with your pregnancy and Im sure there are many on this forum, including myself who would happily discuss any issues or fears you have more if you wish, Pregnancy scared me with my diabetes, but i found that i looked forward to each pregnancy with total joy and happiness.

Congratulations :D

Shari