T1 ex-pats in Western Australia?

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Hi everyone

I'm trying to find a similar forum in Oz but I just can't find anything in WA at all.

Just wanted to find a decent optometrist for my check ups in Fremantle area. The last check I had was meant to be a diabetic review but it was extremely quick - 10 mins in the chair. Back in the UK my yearly check used to be very comprehensive and last about 45 mins to an hour, longer if I had drops. Can anyone recommend somewhere in my area? I know it's a long shot. Since I've been here (2nd time now, nearly 3 years) I've not had the drops done at all!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you'd need to get a referral from your GP to an opthamologist.

Last time I asked the optometrist about why our method for testing is different from the UK ('cos I'd read so much about the extensive testing on here) and they said they only do the drops if they find any evidence of damage from their usual exam. I'm Type 2 though, so not sure if it's different for Type 1s. The only time I recall ever having drops was when I was referred to an opthamologist.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a friend who's either T1 or insulin-dependent T2 who lives in Perth. I'll email him and see who he uses.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The joy of the internet is that you can get a reply from halfway across the world in minutes! My friend recommends Dr Stuart Ross who is in Midland. I hope that helps.

SirAndy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ignorance
I would have thought Oz had the same procedure as the UK.
Every year I have a diabetic retinopathy check where they dilate the pupils and also a general vision checkup at my local Specsavers.
Get onto your GP to refer you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't get the drops (in the UK) as my pupils dilate enough themselves. Drops are not necessarily a requirement

SirAndy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
ignorance
You are lucky if they can check the back of your eyes without putting in the drops. They blur my vision for a good few hours after.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Let's hope that suggestion earlier in the thread helps. I agree though that some people seem not to need drops. Also if the check is just for retinopathy it may not take that long. (I don't think mine have ever taken that long)

I think people in the UK are very fortunate to have a well developed screening services that are in the UK.
It was the first country to introduce this sort of screening . It's probably very much down to this programme that diabetes is no longer the leading cause of blindness in people of working age. (it only goes back to 2001 and was the brainchild of Prof Roy Taylor (of Newcastle diet fame) )
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Upload/How we help/Magazines/Update/Update-Essen _Eyes.pdf
Here in France, there is nothing like it on a national basis. I have to make an appointment to see an ophthalmologist, there's only one in the town and appointments are like gold dust. He's excellent but you have to be proactive, making appointments 6-9 months in advance and I suspect many people miss out on regular checks.

This paper from Australia is a few years old (2011) but it suggests that the extent of screening is also patchy there. GPs are not always capable/happy to do it and apparently access to optometry is unevenly distributed across the country.
http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2011/april/diabetic-retinopathy/

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My friend also recommends his endo, Dr Timothy A Welborn. although I don't know which area of Perth he's based in.