1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T1D and flucloxacillin

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by himtoo, Jul 17, 2017.

1. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi All
    Been prescribed this antibiotic today for an infection ( all good I hear you say )

it is meant to be taken 4 times per day at equal intervals but...... no meals or eating 2 hours either side of taking

so........... can anyone help with timing of eating at all ??

I was thinking 4am , 10am . 4pm , and 10pm for the medicine

meals at 7:30am , 12:30pm , 6:30pm

there is no allowance for hypos though !! :eek:

any thoughts anyone ?????

2. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you likely to have hypos when you have an infection?

3. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Morning @himtoo - Whilst it says "on an empty stomach", it's not a huge deal if you don't do that, but if you aim for when you wake, mid-morning, mid-afternoon and just before bed, you're probably not going to go too far wrong. It's more a case of not having absorption going on concurrently with taking them, so a couple of hours leeway is needed.

And in addition, the 6 hour intervals also have a bit of leeway too...

4. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

thanks for the replies -- I set an alarm for 4am and took my first one , have just eaten brekkie , and will take my next one around 10am
    thanks @tim2000s for your thoughts -- I will cut myself a bit of slack going forward the rest of the week !!:)

@dancer -- my bloods have not been elevated with this infection - I have apparently burst a blood vessel in my leg and the flucloxacillin is to calm down the swelling and heat emanating from the area. ( so maybe an actual infection is not the correct word) but that is what the doctor prescribed.

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Talk to your chemists they are very good with the type of issue (better then most GPs).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook