T2 and passing out

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I wonder if anyone has any information that can help me. I have T2, been in tight control since diagnosis 16 months ago, but have had two foot ulcers. Ten days ago I woke up at 3am absolutely famished and passed out while preparing food and trying to test my blood glucose. So I didn't get a reading. My husband says I revived about 5 seconds later as he was giving me some orange juice. Then on the way back to the bedroom I passed out again. I drank several ounces of juice. By the time the ambulance came, my BG was over 5. A few days ago I thought it was going to happen again. My BG was 4.4 before I ate. What is going on? Everyone says T2s don't have hypos. Is it possible? The other possible explanations are stress and an odd reaction to the flu vaccine. Thanks!

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should mention that I'm not on any diabetes medication.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @MauraH - I am Type 2 and take Insulin and Metformin and I have only experienced 3 Hypo's in over 2 years since using Insulin. I think if I were you, I would make an appointment and go see your GP - you may need to undergo some tests.:)

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @MauraH - I am Type 2 and take Insulin and Metformin and I have only experienced 3 Hypo's in over 2 years since using Insulin. I think if I were you, I would make an appointment and go see your GP -

Thanks Liam, My GP has no clue about diabetes. He even told me not to worry about it! That was before this happened. Now he has had me tested and everything is okay so far. They are also doing tests for an insulinoma and we are waiting for results. Very stressful! I'm not on any meds, btw.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@MauraH - Has your GP checked your Bloods for the Hyporthyroidism? Maybe your medication may need some adjusting?

Reactions: azure and Freema

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Definitely need a full blood count done

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I am very glad your doc is taking it seriously and you are getting further tests.

Your symptoms are not necessarily hypos, and the tests may stumble across one of the other reasons for feeling that way. But if they are hypos, then both stress, sleep disturbance, various drugs (not necessarily for diabetes) and a reaction to the flu jab may be the cause. Have you noticed any other reactions from the jab?

It is very rare for people to hypo, unless they are on strong glucose lowering drugs like insulin or gliclazide, but it IS possible for anyone at all, whether they have diabetes or not. It just takes a set of circumstances that triggers their body to react in that way.

Hopefully your tests will give an explanation. :)

Reactions: Liam1955

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Brunneria. Sounds like you don't think it is an insulinoma. I am starting to think that the cause will never be found but I think myself that it was a combination of the factors you cited. Have to be very careful to take care of myself. This forum is great btw!

Reactions: Liam1955

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BTW, the second time it happened (or started to) I went to Emergency and the doc there said it could be a virus and that they get people passing out all the time. It accounts for 4% of Emergency visits. Interesting. He said the danger of recurrence would pass within 2 weeks when the virus was out of my system.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, insulinoma are very rare, but if you have it, they will find it with further testing, so you don't have to worry about it remaining undiagnosed. :)

I get hypos too, because of something called Reactive Hypoglycaemia, which is very hard to get recognised by the NHS. So if your testing gets you nowhere, and you are still hypoing after them, come back and we can talk about RH :D We have quite a few threads on the forum because a few of us have RH, but I didn't mention it before because you listed stress and the flu jab, which are both very likely short term triggers, if you see what I mean.

Hope you get an explanation, or the hypos (?) just stop happening - they aren't fun, are they?

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Blood work I meant to type!
I did wonder what a bloodworm was?! Kind of holding out in hope that it was something I could of used as an excuse to have a day off.... oh well!

MauraH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I appreciate the comments everyone. I just got more blood test results today: c peptide, insulin, and cortisol all normal. Still waiting to see an endocrinologist. Thanks for all the info Brunneria. And Sean, we have to use whatever we can!

Sean-W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
I appreciate the comments everyone. I just got more blood test results today: c peptide, insulin, and cortisol all normal. Still waiting to see an endocrinologist. Thanks for all the info Brunneria. And Sean, we have to use whatever we can!
Never a truer word spoken :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My goldfish used to get bloodworms regularly.

RIP Bailey (died of old age not bloodworm poisoning! haha!)