T2 Diabetic in hospital - strange nurse behaviour!

ChilliGal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been admitted to hospital for a while to deal with an ear infection (!) that has turned chronic and can only be dealt with by IV anti biotics. I have told the nursing staff that I'm T2, controlled with Metformin and diet and suddenly, on Day 3, they pounced on me this morning (at 5:30am...) to 'do' my blood sugars. I'm confused. My diabetes nurse at my GPs advised me against doing blood sugars (can't precisely remember why but she definitely did) but here they have decided (and heaven knows who 'decided' they needed this ob in the middle of the night...) to do this. Can anyone offer any comment as to whether I allow them to carry on (given it's not part of my regular diabetes routine) and what perhaps they think they're doing?

Thanks...

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Likely because you are diabetic they want to keep an eye on your BG as infection can make them sky rocket! let them do it (5.30 is a normal time in hosp!) and get back to normal when home.

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
Plus, of course, there have been some incidents in hospital where a diabetic hasnt been monitored properly or has been given the wrong or no medication so they are probaby being very careful or, what's the saying, ah yes,they're covering their backsides!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
The problem is: hospitals are full of "strange" nurses :lol: :lol:
Don't worry if your problem is just a mad nurse wielding a lancet, when I was in they couldnt cope with providing a suitable diet :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Morganator

Was in hospital last weekend and they were quite miffed when I refused a meal of chicken in white sauce topped with toasted breadcrumbs, mashed potato and over-cooked carrots followed by arctic roll.
They accused me of being a fussy eater.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Engineer88 said:
Likely because you are diabetic they want to keep an eye on your BG as infection can make them sky rocket! let them do it (5.30 is a normal time in hosp!) and get back to normal when home.

Sounds about right :thumbup:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I would be livid being woken at that time! I would say they could do my bs's but during the day and early evening!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Better not come here then Sarah, they come round from room to room at 2am and again at about 6am before breakfast. You get used to sticking out your hand and them doing the test. They even do it when you are there on a course (ie not ill, the diabetes education courses are inpatient).
Means though they have some good information to help you control your diabetes better.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd rather them be over careful than just ignore the diabetes. When I had a foot op they tested before the op and put me on a glucose drip and after the op I was tested every hour during the night; over cautious perhaps but caring. I was just on tablets at the time

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
When i was in i was having my bs checked with the EVIL lancets every hour! I was admitted at 7pm and left 3 days layer with barely any sleep i was allowed a bathbeveryday and used that time to nap hahaha

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surely they'd let you bring your own lancet and use it. You can put them on the right setting, not like those daggery hospital ones!