T2 Low Carb Breakfast on the Go ideas

Claire18384

Hi
I am looking for suggestions for T2 low carb breakfasts.
I can't get my head round having vegtables for breakfast, although will try!! Tried wholewheat low carb cerels but they just rocket my BG.
TIA

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greek Yoghurt, Cold meats & cheese, Eggs, Full English. If you can get your head around it you could anything you wanted, it's only social convention says we should eat cereals/bread to break our overnight fast

Reactions: Lindap118

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't eat any carbs for breakfast without seeing raised levels for the rest of the morning. I had to give up on the FF yogurts etc. and now it is a boiled egg and a cup of tea. This keeps my levels steady.

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing.. just tea or coffee... extend your overnight fast

I have been doing that since the end of October. Just a cup of tea. Lunch about 1-15, so an 18 hour fast every day. The only difference it has made is an average drop of 0.1mmol/l on all FBG , all pre-meals and bedtime readings. It hardly seems worth it for me.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kippers, sausages, smoked fish, chops - they were the normal breakfasts a century ago. Cereals are very much newcomers on the scene. If I have to go out early I take some cold cooked meat, a chunk of cucumber and a tomato, or maybe celery sticks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have a coffeesubstitute with cream.
But I make a low carb cinnamon crunch cereal (google it :) ) for Mr B - he loves it!
And there are usually cheese and ham slices in the fridge.
I eat proper breakfast a couple of days a week nowadays - usually bacon and egg.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Kippers, sausages, smoked fish, chops - they were the normal breakfasts a century ago. Cereals are very much newcomers on the scene. If I have to go out early I take some cold cooked meat, a chunk of cucumber and a tomato, or maybe celery sticks.

Ironically, Kellogg's All Bran was introduced exactly a century ago, Bran Flakes were introduced 101 years ago.
A bit of trivia there.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I usually try to skip breakfast but if I know I need to eat something on the go I will have cold boiled egg(s) and low carb cold chipolata sausages. If I haven't got the time to prepare in advance then I'll get some ham off-cuts available from most supermarket deli counters.

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast was what I was finding difficult too. I am up at 4am, and not only do I not feel like cooking bacon and eggs, but I really don't want to wake the household. I wasnt a breakfast eater before Diabetes, but did what I was told and started with a low carb cereal and a bit of yoghurt. Felt awful, bloated and by BG levels were just skyhigh.

Decided to just go back to brewed coffee with a dash of cream. Perfect, I feel so much better. Lunch has always been around 1.30pm. so I was doing the 18/6 without knowing it.

Works for me

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been doing that since the end of October. Just a cup of tea. Lunch about 1-15, so an 18 hour fast every day. The only difference it has made is an average drop of 0.1mmol/l on all FBG , all pre-meals and bedtime readings. It hardly seems worth it for me.

I NEED to eat something for bf. It needs to be fatty. I have 1/3 avocado and a few small celery pieces with 1 thin slice turkey. If I don't eat I will just keep rising even if I still take my insulin.

Have you tested to see if you keep rising after awakening? I could very easily skip lunch without snacks but not bf for bs reasons.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I NEED to eat something for bf. It needs to be fatty. I have 1/3 avocado and a few small celery pieces with 1 thin slice turkey. If I don't eat I will just keep rising even if I still take my insulin.

Have you tested to see if you keep rising after awakening? I could very easily skip lunch without snacks but not bf for bs reasons.

I have tested till my fingers dropped off - and used a Freestyle Libre 5 times. I did quit all carbs at breakfast, even a FF yogurt with flax and 2 strawberries, and changed to a boiled egg. That did the trick. I no longer rise a great deal and stay in the 5s. What I was trying to say was that the skipping breakfast doesn't make my morning levels and pre-lunch level any less than it was on a boiled egg. The difference on an 18/6 diet is so negligible it isn't worth bothering, for me. Boiled eggs all the way!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tested till my fingers dropped off - and used a Freestyle Libre 5 times. I did quit all carbs at breakfast, even a FF yogurt with flax and 2 strawberries, and changed to a boiled egg. That did the trick. I no longer rise a great deal and stay in the 5s. What I was trying to say was that the skipping breakfast doesn't make my morning levels and pre-lunch level any less than it was on a boiled egg. The difference on an 18/6 diet is so negligible it isn't worth bothering, for me. Boiled eggs all the way!

Sorry, I do remember you saying you eat an egg. Glad that worked for you. Fasting doesn't help my bs levels either so I'd rather eat haha. My fingers ar falling off now too. Something really changed the last month. My basal changes all the time and my insulin for meals as well. 2 units of basal and I go up about 30 and 3 units i drop at least 20. No half unit basal pens here. It's maddening and confusing when I go to bed at 80-85. 2 isn't enough and 3 is too much. I'm trying to go to bed a bit higher as 3 helps with the mornings but it's not working yet. Haha. Only 3 nights so far but I keep staying low at dinner even cutting my dose to 1/2.

I just want to figure out the stupid mornings without jabbing myself a million times.