T2 With Neuropathy , help Req

Graham's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been T2 for 10years , my diets sensible as is my G/blood control . BUT the neuropathy in my feet is my biggest problem .
Painful with a numb , lumpy feeling , walking hurts , I've tried all sorts of things to make walking easier, compression socks , special shoes with Gr8 made to measure insoles .
I think I'd try anything to improve my feet , any reader got some good advice
Regards
Graham

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try taking Alpha Lipoic Acid supplements. They help with neuropathy and also increase mental clarity (clears brain fog).

600 Mg per day is good. There are two types of ALA. The r-ALA variant is better.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been T2 for 10years , my diets sensible as is my G/blood control . BUT the neuropathy in my feet is my biggest problem .
Painful with a numb , lumpy feeling , walking hurts , I've tried all sorts of things to make walking easier, compression socks , special shoes with Gr8 made to measure insoles .
Regards
Graham

@Graham's

Along with ALA I've cycled (I think) 7000 miles in the last 12 months = about 120 miles / week. I am still taking ALA but now I'm getting decreased neuropathy. As for how doable 120 miles of cycling / week is, is another question but there's guys I know who're doing 200+ miles a week. 120 miles = is about 17 miles / day..

Reactions: ickihun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I would have fallen off a bike before getting to the end of the drive, but I do take R-ALA (not the ordinary ALA) and it helps a lot with my chemo-induced foot neuropathy. Mine is mild though and doesn't cause me problems.

If your foot is numb, are you having it checked by a podiatrist?

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Regards
Graham
I find if I let my feet and hands get cold its worse , and that warmth always helps.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take multi vitamins from Aldi, ALA and Vitamin D3 spray from H&B......This treatment works wonders for me. ALA is expensive but you can take for a duration then stop. I do find it is best to take with a lot of water as if the capsule get stuck it gives terrible heartburn.

Amberswood

I'm also getting these symptoms, tingling and worse if my feet get cold sticking out of bed. Walking isn't a problem as i do 2 - 6 mile walks fairly regular with my dog and don't feel it much then, its when I take my socks off. My yearly Podiatry exam has come up with nothing wrong and they tell me it may be a trapped nerve? On the other hand my practice nurse says neuropathy?
I have ordered some R-ALA so I will see if they help.

Reactions: ickihun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also getting these symptoms, tingling and worse if my feet get cold sticking out of bed. Walking isn't a problem as i do 2 - 6 mile walks fairly regular with my dog and don't feel it much then, its when I take my socks off. My yearly Podiatry exam has come up with nothing wrong and they tell me it may be a trapped nerve? On the other hand my practice nurse says neuropathy?
I have ordered some R-ALA so I will see if they help.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If it affects both your feet it is unlikely to be a trapped nerve, in my opinion. I may be wrong, but which nerve is trapped, and where? If your blood sugars have been high in the past or more recently, it could be neuropathy. People on here report that getting blood sugars down to normal (non-diabetic) levels helps a lot. I have no idea what your BS are like, nor which type of diabetic you are - T1 or T2 or somewhere in between, but either way neuropathy may bite if BS are too high for a period of time. Walking has never bothered me either.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Regards
Graham
Hi @Graham's ..
I had some retinopathy in my feet a few months ago and I started taking an Omega-3 fish oil capsule and a Vitamin B12 tablet every day. Now I only get the odd twinge when it's unusually cold. I do think, though, that the Alpha Lipoic Acid recommendations from @Art Of Flowers are probably more appropriate if your neuropathy is severe .. and yours sounds as though it is ..

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine is not too bad, I thought it was due to bad work boots and many hours standing on hard floors until diagnosed T2. Cold makes it worse, especially at night, and my Reynauds does not help in that regard either. It can take a while to warm up enough to get to sleep! Keeping feet warm, and walking in shoes that are comfortable but not tight seems to make it less troublesome for a while. I will try the rALA now too.

SoulfulXombi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Was concerned this was happening to me as I woke up yesterday with numbness at the front and side around my thigh area but it seems to have gone now so may have just been an odd reaction to metformin as it was the morning after my first tablet. Just hoping it doesn't come back.

Last edited: