T2's, on metformin only, getting test strips

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just saw an interesting post on Twitter from Dr Partha Kar
He reckons that test strips for people on metformin only (so T2's) costs the NHS £10 mio per year approx.
I calculate that if you say 5 tests a day thats about 3 pots a month avg £8 a pot gives roughly £300 per year.
If we divide £10 mio by 300 that means that only about 33,000 T2's on metformin get test strips.
I'm not sure if Dr Kar thinks this is too much, too little or just pointless but it seems not very many which I guess ties in with what we hear anecdotally here about doctors refusing to prescribe strips for T2's only on metformin.
Personally I think it's a bit short sighted of the NHS but then again as they don't think we can reverse our condition without surgery or starvation I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Dr Kar muted me on Twitter so I guess I'll never find out what his thoughts were... so if you are on metformin and get prescribed strips you are incredibly fortunate.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I entirely agree, @bulkbiker

When I was told I was PreDiabetic, I was given no advice re diet, apart from eating a 'healthy diet' but no clues as to what a 'healthy diet' included. As I thought I was eating a healthy diet, on the whole, it didn't mean much to me. Then, when first diagnosed diabetic, I asked if I could have a glucometer, especially as I was a retired nurse, but was told "Type 2s don't need to test" and they wouldn't budge even when I explained watching 'numbers' would help me reduce foods etc.

So, yes, not prescribing or encouraging patients to take an interest in controlling glucose levels and having HbA1c only once a year, does tend to send the message out that Type 2 isn't that important anyway. No wonder so many Type 2s, being ignorant of their situation, have the typical complications which, in turn, cost the NHS even more £££s

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a surprising low number given current NICE guidance.
https://pathways.nice.org.uk/pathwa...od-glucose-in-adults-with-type-2-diabetes.pdf
Personally I think testing should be available to all newly diagnosed diabetics as long as it is accompanied by guidance on how to make use of the data generated. I dont think its necessary or a good use of v stretched NHS funds to make supplies routinely available if BGs / hba1c’s are routinely within target and the patient is not on medication that carries a risk of hypos.

Last edited: