Taking pre diabetes to far?

Angela(NZ)

Dislikes
liars
Hi

Dont really know what to say so im just going to wing it - i know 3 people with pre diabetes - me makes four. Im the only one who is living as a full diabetic - the others have made little or no changes. The only reason i know to low carb is through this website, i live in New Zealand, and our diabetes website gives no information about low carb, low gi etc. My GP gave me no info on low carbing, so im guessing that the other people i know are carrying on with normal eating and just getting their annual hb blood test done.....am i the one who is taking it to far? should i relax a bit as its not full diabetes?

Grazer

Wether you're taking it too far depends on how low carb you are and what your readings are. Do you test? As a pre-diabetic, (I wish!), I'd find out what level of carbs (and what types) I could eat that still gave me non-diabetic readings, and then stick to that level. That might be 50% of GDA carbs, (125grams day for wopmen), or could be higher or lower. You wouldn't need to test for ever - just long enough to work it out. Make sure you take notes! Then you would be keeping yourself out of the diabetic club. Rest assured, if the other 3 you know aren't doing ENOUGH, they'll be joining the club at some stage! Better safe than sorry.

MaryJ

I was diagnosed in Dec as type 2, never had diabetes in the family (as far as we know)

then last week my sis told borderline (pre-diabetic) . I tested her after a chinese takeaway meal 9.2. my indian takeaway meal was 7.1

she is waiting on her meter and can't wait to get stuck in to find out how the carbs affect her. We both think she would be following me with a full T2 diagnosis with no change in diet.

In a way I see pre as no different to t2

Mary x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes 2 years ago. My doctor told me not to worry, it didnt need treatment, and probably wouldn't progress.

Now I have type 2 diabetes. If I had had the advice then that I have now, I might not have developed type 2, certainly not as quickly.

So I think you are being wise and wish I had known all this 2 years ago.

Helenababe

I think it should be law that GPs tell patients if they are prediabetic. If they're not told it takes away their right to try and prevent or slow down the full onset of diabetes. My uncle was told straight away, and because he adjusted his diet, he still isn't diabetic after 6 years.
If you get a GP that is complacent, and doesn't see the importance of it, then that would be unjust to the patient.

Helena