Tallulahs going to lose weight ! (And you can too!)

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi all, my name is Tallulah, I’m 29 and a pre diabetic with insulin resistance and PCOS.

As of today, Sunday 26th March I weigh 13st 3lbs. I’d love to come off medication and my doctor has told me I need to try and follow a lower calorie diet so here I am.
I’m going to aim for 12 weeks until the 18th June to eat more or less 1000 per day and I’m going to update here and my weight loss encase anyone else’s wanted to join or read this thread in the future.
I would like to be 11st by the end of June which is 2 stone!

I’ve been unhappy with my weight for a while and I’d like to futuristically have children and will need to lose weight to aid in that in my PCOS.
Anyone else on a similar journey or wanting to start one?

• Optimistic
Reactions: filly

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There have been many here who followed VLcal diets such as Newcastle Diet, or Fast 800 diet. these diets are 800 calorie diets and have been studied as being capable of leading to 15% weight loss and also partial remission from T2D which would cover your target weight. I am already at 10 stone, so cannot join in.

The problem with lowcal diets is that when you stop them, the maintenance of weight becomes problematic and you need to think of how you intend to maintain the lower weight after the 12 weeks. This is the main reason why T2D remission is only temporary and only lasts while the weight stays low.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At your age and weight I struggled to lose any weight at all on low calorie diets which made me cold, grey and lethargic.
I am almost 72 now and can only advise you to eat low carb - as long as that is compatible with your medication. I feel fit and have energy eating according to Atkins' advice, my waist shrank 12 inches after diagnosis and burning the GP's diet printout. I was finally able to lose weight yet again on a supposedly unhealthy diet which removed the nagging hunger I felt when on a low fat high carb diet.
The nurse told me I am 70lb down from my heaviest weight they recorded, and without any effort at all, so it seems pointless to struggle on low calorie if low carb works well for you.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @TallulahsThoughts.

I think you are doing the right thing by coming into the DCUK Forum and find other dieters or women like yourself going through the same insulin resistance/PCOS, and trying out different ways to shake the prediabetes? And yes, the PCOS. And definitely - not get type two!

I am very sad that I didn't know enough, and my medical professionals didn't know enough, for me to get the insulin resistance nipped in the bud when I was in my 20s when I too developed those lots of little cysts on my ovaries - ouch!. My adult children, who are in your age group, are used to me talking about making sure they don't get into the insulin resistance whirlpool, and keep an eye on their carb consumption. So of course, this is what I will say to you - rather than calorie counting, as said above, long term at least - make sure you keep an eye on the carbs! As in keep your consumption low enough of them to keep your hormones functioning well, and that all important blood glucose system, which includes the insulin, ticking over nicely and healthily for you. For this reason, a waist height ratio calculation is very important to me, to try and keep my T2D in check.

And yeah - the good thing about watching the carbs is that will help maintain that weight loss that you are going for in the low-calorie diet for a couple of months. I hope you are joined by other keen VLCDers, or, keep posting and get the support that makes those kinds of experiences more bearable and definitely more interesting! I've done two Very Low Calorie Diets over the last 9 years, and I appreciate the support and encouragement I got in this forum immensely. I hope that is your experience too.

• Friendly
Reactions: Outlier and Oldvatr