1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Royal Holloway, University of London are conducting a study to understand how people with diabetes create and share knowledge online. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Tesco PLC(GB) no Low Carb option

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by freshlybrewed, Oct 16, 2017.

1. freshlybrewed

freshlybrewed Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Here in the UK Tesco have started rolling out their new website. Included is the ability for shoppers to filter search results by Lifestyle and Dietary options. Here is the information about the options on their website.
    https://www.tesco.com/help/terms-and-conditions/#Dietary

[​IMG]

There is no "low carbohydrate" option.

Although there is a low sugar option, anyone who knows their nutritional values will know that's like having a low saturated fat option instead of a low fat option. Sugar is not the only source of carbohydrate in food. I think it's an oversight to exclude a low carbohydrate option because otherwise, why would anybody be wanting low sugar when the product still contains significant amounts of carbs? (except looking after their teeth)

If this issue concerns you too, then please send your thoughts to Tesco grocery customer services, here's the form;
    https://www.tescohelp.com/tesco/forms/ghs_form.html

Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find most of their filters don't work properly anyway and throw quite a few rogue stuff into the search results so I don't think I would rely on a search for low carb anyway - to my mind if it had to be tagged low carb it's probably highly processed anyway - sticking to fresh meat veg fish etc is a better option imho

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

My favourite premade low carb option at the supermarket is a ready roasted chicken. With a homemade salad 10 mins and suppers done . No need to look up the carb values.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

Tesco is one of the sponsers of the other forum (diabetes.org.uk ) They frequently work together, so highly unlikely they would promote low carb in any way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jason_Avoneg

Jason_Avoneg · Active Member

What is this other forum you speak of? Am I missing out?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 · Oracle

No, you are not missing out. Have a look for yourself.

7. Daibell

Daibell Type 1.5 · Expert

Have you looked at their website recently? It's all changed and for the better. I couldn't find any mention of the Eat-well Plate and the carb advice is much more sensible. The Food Fads bit (found via the menu icon) eventually suggests having reduced carbs - wow! We're getting there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well its still suggesting eating canned fruits and vegetables and two portions of toast every day so its slow progress !

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Heretic1

Heretic1 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Tesco have just started doing a ‘low Carb’ bread... it labelled as such. It is like Burgen Bread, but I thought much softer .... and very nice at 9g of Carbs per slice. The slices are just slightly smaller than Burgen Bread and the loaf is smaller in size... funny old thing they have stopped stocking Burgen Bread. Will use again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

S
    I still eat toast - usually only at week-ends and I have sandwiches once or twice a week all made with the Tesco high protein bread which is 9g carbs per slice.

11. CherryAA

CherryAA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My friend just started making low carb pancakes to put her fillings in. Two eggs whisked together with table spoon of mayonnaise salt and pepper, cooked in butter, very thin covering of egg to make two very large thin pancakes. She the rolls tuna etc into the pancake and takes that to work, seems to be working well as a " bread " substitute and very tasty .

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook