Testing my blood sugars

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and was wondering if to invest in a glucose monitoring device but unsure which would be best. . The nurse never mentioned checking my blood sugars.

Reactions: 4 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
A cosefree isthe cheapest to buy for the monitor and test strips. Type 2,s Don, t tend to get a free monitor.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm tagging @ daisy1 who will be along soon with some great information for you which will help you manage your diabetes. What was your HbA1c reading when you were diagnosed? Have you been given medication? As @ally1 said a Codefree meter and strips is the cheapest option for you if you have to self-fund your testing. I got mine from www.homehealth.com but you can also buy from ebay and Amazon if you prefer. Please read through the confirmation Daisy sends and the various threads on this forum and ask any questions you may have. Best wishes

Reactions: 2 people

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi my HbA1c was 6.1 my glucose intolerance test 11.9 not been told very much no medication at present n nurse told me to read up on Lada all a it confusing and I am a little in denial too but decided today I need to take control

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and was wondering if to invest in a glucose monitoring device but unsure which would be best. . The nurse never mentioned checking my blood sugars.
Hi Polly3, welcome to the forum, you didn't say whether you were diagnosed Type 1 or 2, I am Type 2 and and fortunately for me was given a monitor and strips straight away. If you see the doc or diabetic nurse again ask them if you can get them on prescription .:)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nurses will often give you a meter but don't really want to give the strips on prescription if you are T2 that is why most of us buy our own many use the Codefree meter as the strips for it are the cheapest

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There is a separate forum for LADA here @Pollyg3 click onto forum list and you will find several threads there. People on there are experts but if the health care professionals think that you might be LADA your treatment will be very different from we type 2s When is your next appointment with your GP/Nurse ?

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi not really sure what I am at moment presume type 2 And not been tested for Lada yet the nurse was a bit unclear I have ordered a code free one this morning but when I see the nurse Thursday I will ask her about monitoring now to sort diet out I have been ignoring it since been told thank you helps all this info

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On Thursday nurse appointment I have just made it cause of the confusion I am saying newly diagnosed but been confirmed a month n I am still no closer thanks I will look at Lada forum

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It can feel very confusing at first Polly but you will soon have a handle on it all. This is a good forum to find the information, support and encouragement you need to help you lead a full and healthy life with diabetes! Once you get the info from Daisy you might have a better idea of what you want to ask your nurse on Thursday. Good luck!