Testing results

cratat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being diabetic, struggling with food choices
I'm a type 2 diabetic my fasting blood sugar this morning was 9.6 I've just tested again 2 hours after my tea which consisted of fish chips gravy and bread cake followed by a bubble waffle with honeycomb ice cream white chocolate sauce and mini Terry orange sections(5) and the result was 10.1 would anyone like to comment has to why I'm not seeing a dramatic rise am I missing something.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That meal is very high in fats as well as carbs. The fats are probably slowing down the bg rise, and might do for several hours.
Some users report pizza spiking them the next day!
Your one test is probably missing the spike which might be prolonged more than straight up and down.
Consider getting a libre which will monitor you more often. The first one is free and lasts 2 weeks. Subsequent ones cost about about £50

Reactions: miriamy

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t see how you can assess how much the rise is if you didn’t take a reading before your meal. However I do agree with @MrsA2 your meal contains a lot of fat so might delay a further rise.

Reactions: LivingLightly

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The most important time to test is just before you take your first mouthful, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. Then compare that first reading with the result two hours later.

The second reading should be no more than 2 mmols/l above the first one and no higher than 8 mmols/l. By reducing the carbohydrates in your meals, you can bring those results down to a healthy range.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If I’d eaten that I’m sure my BG would be in the 20s o_O :joyful:

As @LivingLightly and others have said test just before you eat and 2 hours after. Try and cut carbs as best you can to stop complications in the long run