The 9 Tests

Hal

I have read with interest on the startling fact that there are 24,000 unnecessary deaths a year due to diabetes throughout the country.
Does anybody know what the 9 tests that should be done are in relation to the diabetes care that should be done and how regular these should take place. The reason that I would like to know this is that I feel my wife was one of these patients who seemed to get less and less treatment as time went on and probably only saw her doctor or diabetic nurse 2 times in the last 12 months or so. Sadly, she passed away at the end of March this year.

I know about getting the feet checked, her eyes tested and the blood tests but what other things should have been covered?

I can recall going to see the diabetic nurse in November last year where she indicated there had been a gradual increase in the HB1AC reading. At one point it was down at something like 5.6 but it had creeped up above 7 over a period of time and although there had been signs of this happening over the last 12 months or so, it was only when it was at this level that they bothered to tell us.

She was then put on half a Gliclazide tablet with the other medication she was on and informed that a blood test would be taken in 6 weeks time and if any changes were required they would inform us once they had got the results. As I was not informed that I needed to increase the Gliclazide, this stayed at half a tablet because doing so would have been bad.

Maybe I should have followed it up to find out if I needed to alter the medication she was taking after Christmas.

Ironically, the week before she went into hospital we got a letter saying that she needed a fasting blood test which we had to wait 2 weeks to get done, then they would review the medicines for her to see if any changes were required. The blood test would have happened on the Wednesday after she died on the Monday. Call this good care for a diabetic with all this waiting.

Hal

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The tests [actually 15 in all] are listed on the Diabetes Uk website. some refer only to pregnancy!

Hal

Many thanks for that. I can't remember the last time my wife was weighed or asked if she smoked. She stopped smoking over 4 years ago. A couple not heard of which are the urinary albumin and serum creatinine.
Will have a read of the document to see if it gives me any idea as to what these are.

Hal

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Dear Hal,

My deepest sympathies go to you over the loss of your wife. I lost mine to cancer 17 years ago but I still remember the pain and loss of direction. Be assured that the pain WILL go but the memories will linger on pleasantly. It would have been of interest to us on this forum if you had told us the cause of death which we could then put into perspective and understand more the bitterness in your final paragraph.

With very best wishes,

Rob

Hal

Hi There

She had heart problems, had heart failure in Jan 08 but recovered that time. Ended up going in hospital eating very little and she seemed fine on going in. I was informed that she would be home in a couple of day which to me was a relief.
Imagine my shock when she died the following Monday from heart failure and a heart attack. The breathing problems only came on when she was on hospital. She had been fine at home.
The indicated when I went into see them that she had high cholesterol and her blood sugars were high which was quiet amazing to me as I did all the cooking and yes she did have treats, crisps and things like that but she had been having these over the previous 4 years when at one stage her blood sugars were down at something like 5.5.
Her diet had not really changed from when it was at this level to to higher ones in the last year, it is just that we had not been given the correct information or any advice from them how we could correct this.

Hope this helps.

Hal

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hal said:
Many thanks for that. I can't remember the last time my wife was weighed or asked if she smoked. She stopped smoking over 4 years ago. A couple not heard of which are the urinary albumin and serum creatinine.
Will have a read of the document to see if it gives me any idea as to what these are.

Hal

Your wife should have had blood taken and her urine checked, annually, which gives the results for the tests you have not heard of. Unfortunately many people are not told what is being tested and why - all the doctor says is: "your results were fine". Which they may well have been.

I always get a print-out of my own blood-test results, to go through at my leisure. The doctor calls me in if he spots something wrong, and I go in to see him off my own bat if I'm puzzled about anything.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Time does heal, but you never stop missing someone.

Viv 8)

Hal

I did not realise that we could get a print out of the results of blood tests. Nobody had ever told us of this.

Many thanks for your replies.

Hal

Unbeliever

They never do ell you Hal. Is just a lottery as to whether you find out these things or not. My pracice go into a spin if I reques a printout. They usually give me the wrong one. As mmy vision iis poor i don' usually find ou until I get home.

Even getting the printouts may not have helped. Much depends on who is interpreting the results. The guidelines change from tme tto time.

We are not reated as individuals these days .I don' believe things will improve until we are.
I am so sorry for your loss. An unexpected death is very hard o come to terms with. My mother died suddenly and unexpectedly from hear failure. She had just been discharged from the hosptal clinic and we all thought she was doing so well.
It may well be that there was nothing that could have been done bu tit is only natural to search for answers. Hpe uyou soon find some peace of mind.