The D files.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
These eyes ... self cleaning self focusing lenses that can scrutinise small details or scan far away horizons ... the adjusting from close to distant ... happens automatically ... so we say.
How?
You might have a small coin in your hand that you are studying the detail of whilst keep glancing up to study the house a hundred yards away ... the woman inside the house ... the movements on the hillside seven miles away and back to the coin all effortlessly.
Someone ... you .... knows almost beforehand which focus you'll be needing in an enth of a nano second and so it's focussed.
This degree of control is incredible but I said control ... who or what is controlling such complexity?
It's not controlled?
I'm off on one now happily rambling away ... best go play a tune ....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few years ago I was reading some stuff by a Muslim philosopher.
He was trying to figure out who what and where we really are.
He was also a brain surgeon.
He asked the question ... what do we see with?
Most people will answer with the eyes but they'd only be partially right because we actually see with the brain.
We also hear with the brain smell and taste with it.
All the wiring and sensors go to the right places for the information to be read and interpreted.
They all cross over too so that smell or taste can trigger a memory to do with something seemingly unrelated.
He wanted to know what consciousness ID and ego really are.
The visual bit.
We have eyes that take in light.
The light triggers a series of very complex events which basically changes the light into electro chemical digital information which is sent to the visual cortex. The visual cortex is a tiny thing nestled deep in the folds of the brain somewhere roughly centre ... in a dark warm place.
In fact in a pitch black place.
No light ever enters into the skull unless someone hits you with an ice pick.
But a lot of decoding goes on in this tiny visual cortex that has never ever been exposed to light of any kind and what happens ... a full HD video is played of what the visual cortex has interpreted is going on on the outside of your skull.
Who is watching this video?
How are they watching this video?
Where are they positioned to watch this video and how are they positioned there?

I read somewhere we only take in a small percentage with the eyes & the brain makes up the rest...
Funny enough. i glanced a look at an attractive woman walking a brown Irish setter dog the other day..
I glanced again & it was a long strappy brown bag in her hand near touching the floor...!
Dyslexia is another strange one yet the sufferer tends to have great skills in graphic design & music..

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
But light can be ... pulled down by gravity .... photons.

I think the big hardon collider might show some amazing things.
Interesting typo, what films have you been watching?;)

If they learn how to rearrange the atomic structure of things anything at all will be able to be manufatured.
Gold from lead.
The company I work for makes radiotherapy machines. We use tungsten for radiation shielding and after a few years of being exposed to high energies it is possible to knock an electron out of the outer electron shell, effictively dropping the material down 1 position on the periodic table to Tantalum.

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
When you say the brain makes up the rest do you mean you ... make up the rest or you control the brain to make up the rest?
Or the brain automatically provides this service for you?
Is the brain calling the shots for you?
Are you in command of the brain?
Are you and the brain one but you tend to discuss the brain as being something seperate?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
The big hardon might be the point where we discover we can rearrange any structure we like to become any other we want?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say the brain makes up the rest do you mean you ... make up the rest or you control the brain to make up the rest?
Or the brain automatically provides this service for you?
I assume the brain interprets what the eyes pick up..? Or lack of....

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'm tying myself in knots here .....

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The big hardon might be the point where we discover we can rearrange any structure we like to become any other we want?
I thought this was a family show. Wait, it's after the watershed!

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I assume the brain interprets what the eyes pick up..? Or lack of....
No the brain is apparently doing other stuff .... the visual cortex is doing that stuff.
The brains monitoring your breathing and temperature control systems and and and ... pretending to be you a lot of the time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No the brain is apparently doing other stuff .... the visual cortex is doing that stuff.
The brains monitoring your breathing and temperature control systems and and and ... pretending to be you a lot of the time.
Like the ECU in a modern car..? Possibly governing subtle "body language" triggering others apparent PSI... ;) "Oh, its just like i can read your mind"... (She said.)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Like the ECU in a modern car..? Possibly governing subtle "body language" triggering others apparent PSI... ;) "Oh, its just like i can read your mind"... (She said.)
I don't want to sit here typing all this stuff just now but my brain is making me do it.
See there's clearly two entities vying for attention and control here ... I'm not sure who's who any more.
Is the brain me? Am I the brain?
Why does the brain do things for me ... is it in return for me talking about it?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I have to go and relax to some youtube tunes before my brain makes me go crazy!!!!
I have to escape my brain for a while .......

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't want to sit here typing all this stuff just now but my brain is making me do it.
See there's clearly two entities vying for attention and control here ... I'm not sure who's who any more.
Is the brain me? Am I the brain?
Why does the brain do things for me ... is it in return for me talking about it?
No, your mind is you. Your brain is just the physical embodiment of it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Who is watching this video?
How are they watching this video?
Where are they positioned to watch this video and how are they positioned there?
This is called the homunculus problem in philosophy. It's part of the problem of consciousness, which is one of the most profound problems in philosophy. Cool stuff indeed.

Reactions: 4 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Apparently when we view something the eye sees, it is seen back to front. The brain then corrects this immediately and we see it as we believe we are seeing it !

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is called the homunculus problem in philosophy. It's part of the problem of consciousness, which is one of the most profound problems in philosophy. Cool stuff indeed.

It's an odd one to which i don't buy either.. doesn't it all boil down to where the idea of the idea came from ad-infinitum....?
A bit like audio feedback causing distortion... or in the case of video..?