The Diet Plate

Bonnington

:D I have found the perfect low carb diet with the Diet Plate. The first thing it does is teaches you what is a starchy carbohydrate because it is those carbs I need to watch out for. I have discovered weight loss is a lot easier for me if I avoid starchy carbs like bread, pasta and rice - especially pasta which I do love. Unfortunately it does not love me, as minutes after eating it I get bloated and uncomfortable, and of course never seem to lose any weight as it is so easy to over indulge.

Well, a few months ago I discovered the Diet Plate on this site and I have to tell you guys, it is ingenious. It is not just the weight loss that has startled me, if you stick to the rules it works really well - it is more the fact that I am eating just the right amount of carbs I think, I don't get bloated, I don't get indigestion or heart burn and I don't know if this is connected or if it is as a result of my weight loss but, my joints don't seem as painful and my ankles aren't swelling as much. Has anybody else been using the diet plate and also found this? I am very happy - since I bought it nearly 2 months ago now, I have lost 16lbs now and hope to lose at least 56lbs in total.

Longthorpe

Can you please explain how it works so well with low carb? I have just been to the diet plate website and it portions ONE MEAL of carbs for a female as between 90-125g of starchy carbs:

"All potatoes, peas, corn, parsnips, butter beans, noodles, rice, naan bread, maize, lentils and pasta is measured in the STARCHY CARBOHYDRATE section, the tape measure again forming the boundary.
The Female version will give 3 - 4 ounces of carbohydrate(90 - 125 grams). "

That seems like way too much carb in one meal for someone who is following low carb - my total for the day is 100g and I have been advised to have a moderate carb intake.

Also, it says on the plate to 'think low fat'. I don't believe that fits with how most of us see a low carb diet.

I do see how keen you are on it, you've made 3 posts on the site and you rave about this plate in all of them. I am just struggling to see how such a thing would be suitable for people following LC.

Bonnington

Hi, All I can say is it has been working fo me so far because pre-diet plate, my carbohydrate intake was not under control and I was guessing at the amounts. In fact I did not realise that peas and corn were starch until I read through the instructions, I thought they were regular vegetables, often I would serve some new potatoes and a large serving of peas and have double the 100g that you are allowing. Now it is all under control and I admit I serve right up to the edge of the taped area, but if i wanted less then I can easily gauge it because the measurements help me.

Low fat - I do believe we need fats, a little olive oil in the diet is good for you and all of the dietetic advice that I have read has said not to cut fats from your diet entirely.

I consider it a low carb diet though in comparison to where I started from, also I thought if I have to change my lifestyle for ever, then I need something that I can sustain. If I cut down my carbs too low, then after a few days I get really bad cravings and I cheat big time, normally a fresh loaf and a pack of butter. This plate seems to fit my lifestyle and like I said, I have lost 16lbs so far, which is much better than I was doing before and I am managing to stick with it, so I guess people have to do what suits them really. I am a fan though that is for sure, I make no apology for the rave. :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I have a diet plate that works for low carb diets. It's a normal plate - I fill the circular area with as much fat and protein as I want, plus a little green veg, and I make sure not to put any starchy carbs at all on the plate!