Theory Test

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, i have just booked my driving theory test. I have read that you are not allowed to take any electronic items in and have read about the girl who was kicked out for taking a glucose meter in.

So, i was wondering if to be able to take one in you need to ask in advance, or will it be okay to just turn up and say i need to take it in? Thanks.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Long time since my driving test.. (No therory.) so forgive me!
You could check your meter in with an "official" (exams officer?) then ask (under supervision.) when needed?
With prior arraignment....

A meter is not a phone/tablet or some sort of "aid." To the actual therory test. It just does what it does.... Test blood. ;)
Explain concisely what a BS meter is & why it's required... I'm sure they will understand..

Wishing you the best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: saffy and Amy993

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
how about asking your driving instructor if they have any knowledge ?????

Reactions: Amy993

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Long time since my driving test.. (No therory.) so forgive me!
You could check your meter in with an "official" (exams officer?) then ask (under supervision.) when needed?
With prior arraignment....

A meter is not a phone/tablet or some sort of "aid." To the actual therory test. It just does what it does.... Test blood. ;)
Explain concisely what a BS meter is & why it's required... I'm sure they will understand..

Wishing you the best of luck!

Okay thank you for the help!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay thank you for the help!

No problem. You could point out to the examiner that you're legally obliged to test blood levels before driving & 2 hours there after behind the wheel.. (Though I apreciate this is only a therory test.) ;)

Please forgive my awful "typos" in my first post too! :oops:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I imagine the concern at the root of this is anyone having, say, a phone with them that could be used to google answers to a question asked.

As a bit of a crumblie, I passed my test well before the theory test came in, but as I understand it, from here: https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/driving-theory-test-booking-and-taking-your-test , you have a 15 minute test session, then the main part of the theory test is 57 minutes. You can then choose whether or not you take a 3 minute break, followed by a further test (doesn't say how long that is).

Hopefully your driving instructor might have given you some clarification, but if not, perhaps the exam invigilator would be able to keep your meter for you, should you need it at some stage. Perhaps you could test in the 3 minute break, if you felt it necessary?

As I'm not insulin dependent I can't comment any further.

Reactions: Amy993 and Jaylee

Skid

I took my theory test a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't allowed to take anything into the test area, not even a Mars Bar. I explained I was a type 1 Diabetic and was told that I would have to come out of the test area to get the Mars Bar if I started to feel hypo.

XBel

Hi, dunno if it's changed in the last couple of years, but the 3 times I've done and passed the theory test I was allowed to take a bottle of drink in with me, which meant I could top up my levels with little sips while contemplating whether or not that was the right answer to the last question....

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I took my theory test a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't allowed to take anything into the test area, not even a Mars Bar. I explained I was a type 1 Diabetic and was told that I would have to come out of the test area to get the Mars Bar if I started to feel hypo.

Oh really okay. I will try to explain but it will probably be the same!