They lied

kjw123

I can remember when I had to inject insulin (T1 22yrs) for the very first time, I was petrified. The health carer showed me a video which explained areas to inject and how it doesn't hurt etc. then it showed a little 6yr old injecting insulin....that was it for me I wasn't going to be upstaged by a 6yr old so I took hold of the srynge which had already been prepaired and wham in it went....I let out a piercing scream and danced around the the clinic cursing all and sundry...they lied it flamming well did hurt.

Today though with the insulin pens it's OK though there are times when it can hurt a little, even after 22 yrs and over 1,400 injections a year I never get used to it totally, but I'm a bit more braver now.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I'm wondering, as a daily stabber myself, if you are using a shorter fine needle. I use BD Microfine+ 5mm and only very occassionly do I feel it going in and they never really hurt me :thumbup:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
kjw123 said:
I can remember when I had to inject insulin (T1 22yrs) for the very first time, I was petrified. The health carer showed me a video which explained areas to inject and how it doesn't hurt etc. then it showed a little 6yr old injecting insulin....that was it for me I wasn't going to be upstaged by a 6yr old so I took hold of the srynge which had already been prepaired and wham in it went....I let out a piercing scream and danced around the the clinic cursing all and sundry...they lied it flamming well did hurt.

Today though with the insulin pens it's OK though there are times when it can hurt a little, even after 22 yrs and over 1,400 injections a year I never get used to it totally, but I'm a bit more braver now.

hi there very similar story, type 1 for 24years in August. I was in a hospital hundreds of miles from home when first diagnosed, scared and nervous. I had to do my first injection, with a syringe in front of a nurse and doctor. My hands were sweating and I didn't want to do it, but I injected into my leg and when I looked down ,there was blood trickling down :shock: My family has lots of nurses, helath workers and care workers, but I am not a one of those, my tummy turns to butterflies at the mention of stitches and operations, :sick: but the injections are just part of our lives and not a problem ( but still would rather not have to do them and sometimes it does hurt a bit, my needles are 4mm now, used to be 8mm, but far to long for me. Take care all the best RRB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shudder to think of how many injections I've given over the last 31 years :(

Whilst in hospital I had to practice injecting into an orange before they'd let me inject myself, it did hurt and as the needles were so much bigger then and we were told to reuse the needles time and time again, the worst part was having to pump the surgical spirit out the syringe each time you used it and having to boil the **** thing every week, mixing two insulins in the same syringe was a pain too as it was impossible not to draw up air.

The insulin pens and the 4/5mm needles are indeed the best thing out :thumbup:

Prosperity89

I was made to inject my teddy bear when I was diagnosed at aged 8, haha. Then I did it to myself and it was fine, but it went into my finger as I was replacing the cap :| . I also had a thing after injecting myself for about 4 years where I got really scared of injecting for some reason and it was like starting all over again. It was as though I was actually thinking about injecting rather than not thinking about, The needles I use now sometimes hurt and I sometimes bleed a bit, but you get used to it!