This Evenings Meal - Moussaka

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Why mess about with Aubergine Lasagna when you can enjoy the real thing?

Important: Place a bottle of Retsina (Greek Wine -odd taste) in the fridge at lunch time ready to drink with this meal later in the day/evening for that authentic Greek feel.

Moussaka
Prep time 30 minutes to 1 hour
Cooking time 30 minutes to 1 hour

Caution Very low carb - this could ruin my reputation :lol:

Ingredients
2 Aubergines
Olive oil
1 Onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500g lean (best) minced lamb
1/2 Packet of Passata - could substitute fresh toms
Pinch of Cinnamon powder
Pinch of Cumin powder
1 Glass of Red wine
150ml Chicken stock
200ml White sauce
2 Eggs
Pinch of Nutmeg
180g Grated Cheese - Half Mozzarella, half Cheddar - Cheat Use 200g 'Grated Pizza Cheese' From Tesco :thumbup:
2 tbsp Fresh Mint, chopped
Salt
Freshly ground Black Pepper

Method
1. Preheat oven to Gas 5
2. Slice Aubergines and fry them on both sides in a large frying pan with a little olive oil. Drain on kitchen paper and place to one side.
3. Using the same pan add a little more olive oil and fry the onions and garlic for about 5 mins.
4. Turn up the heat an add the minced lamb and brown it off, then add the Passata a pinch of cumin and a pinch of cinnamon add the red wine and cook on the hob whilst stirring until well mixed, then add the chopped mint and slowly stir in the stock bit by bit.
4. Layer the Aubergines and lamb mix in an oven proof dish using several layers ending with a layer of Aubergines.
5. Combine the white sauce with the eggs, nutmeg and seasoning and spoon over the top of the mince and then scatter with the grated cheese until well covered.
6. Bake in the oven 20-25 minutes to colour the cheese and cook through.
7. Open the Retsina and serve with the Moussaka add a fresh salad if you wish.

moussaka.jpg

8. Smash some cheap plates on the floor and dance to Zorba the Greek

[youtube]Wx_QZzONqvs[/youtube]

Reactions: 2 people

elainechi

question......do i have to slice the aubergine and sprinkled with salt and rinse and dry????? always put me off using aubergine xx

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
elainechi said:
question......do i have to slice the aubergine and sprinkled with salt and rinse and dry????? always put me off using aubergine xx

Nah! I use aubergine all the time and I don't faff around with it, I just slice it and slam it in the dish with the rest of my ingredients and nuke it. Delicious. :D

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Yum ... I've got an aubergine in the fridge, I've got tomatoes, in fact I've got everything except the mince but I'll have it tomorrow and I'll enjoy that. :D

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
No need to salt and pat dry, Grace. Apparently earlier varieties of aubergine had a bitter taste which salting got rid of. Since then, the plant breeders have produced varieties without that taste. No, not GM! :D

I never salt mine. But they do guzzle olive oil in the frying pan, if you let them. Me - I like a little aubergine with my olive oil :wink: .

Thanks for the recipe, SId - it's ages since I've made a moussaka. New Year treat, perhaps?

Viv 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Thanks for the replies it was lovely, there is still a portion left in the fridge so I will have to decide whether or not I'll eat that for lunch today as well :D

Regarding the Aubergines we have never salted them, well we did when we first started cooking with them as they were quite bitter but now we just fry them lightly before cooking in a meal :thumbup:

You can slice them into disks as well as slicing them into strips running down the veg although it is not easy to keep then thin and even when slicing them this way, worth a try though just to see what you think :D

We first ate moussaka whilst on holiday in Lindos, Rhodes in 1983 and have eaten Moussaka fairly regularly ever since, its common in Greece to include layers of potatoes as well as the Aubergines which we used to do but since D-day we have left out the spuds.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Sid .

Can I have the portion you have left :lol:
Have a small green salad and can see your yummy moussaka sat alongside this :D

Anna.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Looks good
What white sauce are you using?
I've tried an egg yolk cream liaison and that worked. I used grated cheesewith a little mustard to stabilise it
Hana

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My wife usually makes the white sauce Hana, I believe she uses
1oz flour *
1oz butter
1/2 pint of milk

I think she melts the butter then stirs in the flour and milk until smooth then cooks in the microwave for a few minutes (?) stirring occasionally.

My sauce chef is at work at the moment, I will check with her later though and amend as necessary :thumbup:

* If you are concerned about the carbs in 1oz of flour you could substitute soya flour I would imagine but remember this meal makes 4 to 6 portions so still a very low carb meal :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Too late Sid! I succumbed to the chip shop and I've just pigged out on half a fish and a handful of chips. I was driving past the chip shop and my car just suddenly turned left instead of going straight on. Tsk. Cars! :roll:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your Moussaka does look delicious Sid :thumbup:

Sid Bonkers said:
We first ate moussaka whilst on holiday in Lindos, Rhodes in 1983 and have eaten Moussaka fairly regularly ever since, its common in Greece to include layers of potatoes as well as the Aubergines which we used to do but since D-day we have left out the spuds.

Lindos is the hottest place I've ever visited, when we got off the boat to climb up the hill to the town centre the heat was unbearable, felt so sorry for those poor donkeys taking tourists up to the top.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
noblehead said:
Lindos is the hottest place I've ever visited, when we got off the boat to climb up the hill to the town centre the heat was unbearable, felt so sorry for those poor donkeys taking tourists up to the top.

The bar we used to frequent used to be on the small beach where the ferries came from Rhodes and there was a stone which stuck out of the sand and Kyriakos (Jack) the bar owner who introduced us to Moussaka would cover it with sand and we would bet which day tripper would run up and kick it - hope it wasnt you Nigel :lol:

We too used to feel sorry for the donkeys, do they still have them there? I had enough trouble walking up to the Acropolis and I was young fit and healthy then too :***: The view from the top was worth it though...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:
We too used to feel sorry for the donkeys, do they still have them there? I had enough trouble walking up to the Acropolis and I was young fit and healthy then too :***: The view from the top was worth it though...

Not sure Sid if they do or not but I'd expect they do, it was 1997 since I was last at Rhodes.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sid that recipe is awesome! I made it at the weekend and it was great. The only changes I made was to use Lactofree milk for the sauce to keep the carbs down and a bottle of Chianti instead of the Greek wine that I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of :)

Thanks

Smidge

VickiT11979

Thanks Sid, cooked this last night for me, DH & kids & it was gorgeous! There's still 2 portions left & I calculated 72g carbs for the whole thing, so really low carb.

Vicki

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I make an aubergine/minced lamb moussaka too.Even if recipes vary in detail, Moussaka lends itself well to low carb adaptations
Hana