This question is for anyone who has had to have a toe amputation

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By Christine..
My husband who is 62 and been a type 1 since he was 7. He injured his right big toe in the garage back in May when he dropped something heavy on it. When it wasn't healing his diabetic doctor sent us to a podiatrist. He would see him once a week and poked around on it. It continued to get worse and the family doctor ordered a antibiotic and sent himbto a wound care center. They seen him for a few weeks did xrays mri and it is in the bone. Osteomyelitis. They did a direct admit to the Hospital to get things rolling. Angioplasty with Stent. He has had a kidney transplant so there was a lot of concern to protect the kidney. The blood supply is not reaching his toe so its not going to heal. Has anyone else had a toe amputated that healed without too much trouble.

Also, is using a hyperbaric chamber helpful? Do you know of any other treatments that are available?

Thanks for any info on the surgery and recovery.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband who is 62 and been a type 1 since he was 7. He injured his right big toe in the garage back in May when he dropped something heavy on it. When it wasn't healing his diabetic doctor sent us to a podiatrist. He would see him once a week and poked around on it. It continued to get worse and the family doctor ordered a antibiotic and sent himbto a wound care center. They seen him for a few weeks did xrays mri and it is in the bone. Osteomyelitis. They did a direct admit to the Hospital to get things rolling. Angioplasty with Stent. He has had a kidney transplant so there was a lot of concern to protect the kidney. The blood supply is not reaching his toe so its not going to heal. Has anyone else had a toe amputated that healed without too much trouble.

Also, is using a hyperbaric chamber helpful? Do you know of any other treatments that are available?

Thanks for any info on the surgery and recovery.

Oh dear, your husband had been through the mill. He's lucky to have someone so concerned looking out for him.

I can't comment on the specifics of your husband's condition, but I'm sure his kidney team will ensure his blood pressure is kept in a decent range, but if he is a smoker, that ought to go. I know it isn't easy keeping bloods in range with an infection around, plus doubtless stress in general, but the better his blood glucose can be the better allround for him.

I wish you both well in this new stage of his wellbeing.