ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1390159226.484715.jpg

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 11 people

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Hah, good one, daniT1D.

Best wishes,
willie.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
whats the point in being a grown up if you cant be childish.gif

How I try to live my life :D
(Mum's still trying to figure out if it was a good idea to let me Watch Doctor Who as a kid/adult :) )

Reactions: 4 people

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
2013-06-13 02.56.34.jpg

One of my FAVORITE quotes because it's true.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Aristotle certainly did not accept the idea that the Earth orbitted the Sun. The earth was the centre and stationary because you could not feel the Earth move, there was no wind due to a moving Earth, hence it must be stationary and, if the Earth was moving, the birds and the clouds would be left behind.

Aristarchus, who did propose that the Earth orbited the Sun, didn't get a look in. He also had the Sun as the 'central fire' and placed all the other planets in the correct order. His ideas were rejected for almost 2000 years. Hence one of my favourite sayings:

The wise man gladly leaves fame to others. He does not seek to have credited to himself things that stand accomplished. He completes his works in such a manner that they may bear fruit for the future.

Even with today's knowledge, Aristarchus is not as well known as Aristotle.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well Aristotle certainly did not accept the idea that the Earth orbitted the Sun. The earth was the centre and stationary because you could not feel the Earth move, there was no wind due to a moving Earth, hence it must be stationary and, if the Earth was moving, the birds and the clouds would be left behind.

Aristarchus, who did propose that the Earth orbited the Sun, didn't get a look in. He also had the Sun as the 'central fire' and placed all the other planets in the correct order. His ideas were rejected for almost 2000 years. Hence one of my favourite sayings:

The wise man gladly leaves fame to others. He does not seek to have credited to himself things that stand accomplished. He completes his works in such a manner that they may bear fruit for the future.

Even with today's knowledge, Aristarchus is not as well known as Aristotle.
Is Aristotle to blame for others taking his geocentric universe us dogma for so long ?

All progress in human knowing comes through questioning, testing and often disproving hypotheses. Blind acceptance leads only to stasis and stagnation.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was acknowledging Aristarchus' achievement rather than commenting on the dogmatic acceptance of Aristotle's model. It is all too common for academics to jealously guard a perceived wisdom. Life is cosy and safe that way. Don't rock the boat even in a fool's paradise.