Thoughts?

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
After my Hba1c yesterday I wanted to share a couple of the docs comments and get some thoughts , he explained about the fat round the pancreas and how losing weight improves production of insulin which I got , he also said that over time 5, 10, 15 years the pancreas naturally stops operating as it did and medication gets stepped up.

Also does anyone else get raised blood pressure in a visit for an hba1c or tense situations as the the doc mentioned it was high. ?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Yep Rog, its called white coat syndrome.

Reactions: 7 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
A home blood pressure tester is a good idea one where the cuff goes round the arm , the types that go on the wrist tend to give eratic readings, using it will teach you how to relax when your blood pressure is being taken.
Knowing how to relax has a big effect on blood pressure.

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After my Hba1c yesterday I wanted to share a couple of the docs comments and get some thoughts , he explained about the fat round the pancreas and how losing weight improves production of insulin which I got , he also said that over time 5, 10, 15 years the pancreas naturally stops operating as it did and medication gets stepped up.

Also does anyone else get raised blood pressure in a visit for an hba1c or tense situations as the the doc mentioned it was high. ?
Yep, I became aware of impacted fat in a tv programme (my GP hasn't time to discuss this stuff) and you can google pics of scans showing thin people can have a lot and ample people can have only a little. I was a muffin top (slight bulge in the middle :joyful:) so when I lost that I decided my pancreas must feel better. But I must have given my innards a battering over the years so I'm trying to go gently on the carbs so I don't have to start meds for a few years yet. Or ever, who knows?
My BP was good at the last surgery test but I don't know why.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had raised BP whenever I went for my diabetes checks so I checked it at home for the next 3 months once a week at first then a couple of times in a month I took the results to my next check and the DN was happy with results but also my BPeading whilst there was in the normal range I must have been more relaxed so I recommend trying this
CAROL

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They saying it gives up in 5,10 or 15 yrs, yes maybe if we follow their eat well plate, but not so likely on Lchf.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Yes Yes
I had the blood test for HbA1c last week, Was surprised I was put in to see the doctor and not the nurse, He was horrified at my blood pressure (he didn't say what it was). I monitor it daily and had been under 120 and under 70 for several weeks which I felt was good. Not so on my visit to him. I get very stressed seeing my GP.
I would agree with his comments on losing weight will help the pancreas as my blood sugars seem much more under control now that I have lost all the weight I need to. That was what I had read very early on and for me it has helped. Also looking at diet and exercise worked for me.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I haven't had this done but I understand they can do 24 hour monitoring of BP, which may get around white coat syndrome. When mine first tested high in the GP's office I went back for a "BP series" with the nurse which meant lying down in a quiet room doing nothing for 30 mins with BP checks every 10 mins. The average was my official result.

I also bought a home BP meter as I wanted to see if I could get it down without meds. I couldn't, went on meds, and they worked. I remember at the time reading that home meters may not be as accurate as professional ones, but that needed to be set against the effect of white coat syndrome. It's a conundrum, for sure. Hopefully the 24 hour test has solved it though.

Suzannelife

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BOLL
I had raised BP whenever I went for my diabetes checks so I checked it at home for the next 3 months once a week at first then a couple of times in a month I took the results to my next check and the DN was happy with results but also my BPeading whilst there was in the normal range I must have been more relaxed so I recommend trying this
CAROL
I never check it at home. You do great for once a week and happy it is in the normal range. I also need more relaxed. What's the CAROL?