Treatment type
Other
@Totto
My test results:-
TSH ........0.22 (0.27-4.20)
T4 total...125.1 (64.5-142.0)
Free T4....21.34 (12-22)
Free T3.....4.59 (3.1-6.8)
So I only need a small increase in TSH but have only 100mcg tablets.

Still can't understand why my BG has gone up because I am not eating anything different.
If it was me, with those numbers I would want to lower the thyroxine dose, this will then increase the TSH a little.
It sounds as if you might need to look for something other then the thyroxine to account for BG levels.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
One should not mess with levothiroxine if taking too much it can cause palpitations best to have a blood test done and go by their readings . I have taken levorthiroxine for many many years since i was 26 actually and now 71 yes at one time i wa sover dosing it made me feel like i wa sdieing i would break out in sweats and feel like i was going to pass out when i entered any building where people were i went to the doctors and told him some thing not rigth he did a blood test and it came back with bold red writing on it OVERDOSING so reduced it and with in weeks started feeling better now on 100 daily but can cause soem weird side effects if taking too much....

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
One should not mess with levothiroxine if taking too much it can cause palpitations best to have a blood test done and go by their readings . I have taken levorthiroxine for many many years since i was 26 actually and now 71 yes at one time i wa sover dosing it made me feel like i wa sdieing i would break out in sweats and feel like i was going to pass out when i entered any building where people were i went to the doctors and told him some thing not rigth he did a blood test and it came back with bold red writing on it OVERDOSING so reduced it and with in weeks started feeling better now on 100 daily but can cause soem weird side effects if taking too much....
I've had sweats for months. Mainly night sweats. Even last night but blood test said ok now. Will sweats take a while to disappear?

Last edited:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I have no experience of T3 but Levo didn't do much for me.

NDT, however, works fine. I keep my FT3 in the upper part of the range but not above while TSH is very low indeed.
I think there are a lot of people for whom Levothyroxine (T4) doesn't really 'work'. For me, each increase brought temporary relief followed by a return of symptoms. It won't work if your body has adequate T4, but fails to convert it to T3. For some, supplementing with T3 helps; for others, supplementing with NDT (natural dessicated thyroid) containing both T3 and T4 seems to work.
One thing ALL thyroid sufferers need to know is that most GPs rely on the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test, which is a very blunt instrument for measuring whether your problem has been solved. Many sufferers can have a 'normal' TSH level, but have symptoms.
Most GPs will also be alarmed at the low TSH value often obtained when taking NDT.
Geoff

Reactions: Totto

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think there are a lot of people for whom Levothyroxine (T4) doesn't really 'work'. For me, each increase brought temporary relief followed by a return of symptoms. It won't work if your body has adequate T4, but fails to convert it to T3. For some, supplementing with T3 helps; for others, supplementing with NDT (natural dessicated thyroid) containing both T3 and T4 seems to work.
One thing ALL thyroid sufferers need to know is that most GPs rely on the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) test, which is a very blunt instrument for measuring whether your problem has been solved. Many sufferers can have a 'normal' TSH level, but have symptoms.
Most GPs will also be alarmed at the low TSH value often obtained when taking NDT.
Geoff
Can NDT be taken with levothyroxine geoff?

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can NDT be taken with levothyroxine geoff?
NDT is largely T4, which is what Levothyroxine is anyway. I purchased my own about two years ago, and simply stopped taking my Levo. NDT is a mixture of mono and di-iodothryonine and T3 and T4, the entire range of thyroid hormones.
According to https://healthunlocked.com/thyroidu...he-ratio-of-t4-to-t3-be-in-thyroid-medication
"I pointed out that I knew of no studies showing damage from the 4.22 to 1 ratio of NDT over its 119 year history"

Dr Malcolm Kendrick has a very interesting article on thyroid treatment :
"I certainly find the evidence that a large number of people are effectively hypothyroid, with ‘normal’ thyroid blood tests, to be virtually overwhelming. Both from a scientific/physiology basis, and also from a patient testimonial basis.

I now firmly believe that the medical profession is currently doing these people a great disservice, and that the guidelines on the treatment of ‘hypothyroidism’ are rigid, autocratic, and just plain wrong (for a significant minority)."
https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2015/05/01/treating-thyroid-patients-like-children/

Geoff