Thyroid

BonAngel

Hi,

Just trying to get a clear idea about thyroid, I keep reading conflicting things on the internet between US and here. It's all very confusing!!

I got my TSH checked back in August 09 because even though I was dieting and exercising I could not lose weight and it was 2.9mu/L.

But read on thyroiduk website that in the US if it over 2.7 you get treatment but it has to be 10 here!!! My doctor done nothing about it back then just more or less told me to go away.

But over the last 6 months I have been feeling depressed, tired all the time, yawning continously, have muscle aches and jittery muscles and again even though exercising and dieting I can not for love nor money lose weight!!!

So I am now waiting on results for thyroid blood test, if it is 2.9 again will the doctors do anything about it or tell me to go away again?

I feel like I'm going crazy!!

Thanks

Bon x

jopar

I did check your profile to see what type you were as you didn't mention it..

Can I ask are you using Lantus for your background insulin by any chance as some of the symptoms you are saying is very similar to symptoms some diabetics who couldn't get on with Lantus have mentioned!

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
As you have discovered I dont think you can expect much help from the NHS for a thyroid condition. Not for the first time they have a completely different idea to treatment from the rest of the world. Fortunately I was abroad when I began treatment for being hypothyroid and my doctor in the UK, when I returned, has continued to prescribe Levothyroxine. Short of going private its difficult to know what to recommend.

jopar

It may be worth looking at this site http://www.iddt.org which carries a lot of information..

I know that some who have experienced problems with Lantus found that for the first several years everything seemed fine but then slowly built up.. Some moved over to Levemir but others choose to use animal insulin and found improvements..

Personally I've never had any problem with either animal or human insulin, but there again I've never used Lantus before my pump days I used levimer...

But you could ask your GP to run another thyroid test any changes then see where you go from there..

jopar

Candyfloss

If you are diabetic and your thyroid becomes what they term sub-clinical they will start thryoid treatment with thyroxine (Levothryoxine), as my thyroids have for many years swumg from being border line into sub-clinical and yes they have tried me on thyroxine which I didn't get on with..

I have never shown symptoms of an underactive thyroid, I have no weight issues (apart from trying to keep it on) I don't feel tired, or lathargic, no try skin, dull hair or depressed etc..

You can ask for a T4 test (I think it's called) which tests another part of the thyroid function a bit more indepth which sometimes can give a clearer picture to whats going on..