Timing of metformin

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Quick question does the time of day you take your metformin make any difference?

I am on 2x1000mg to be taken together once a day. At the moment I am taking them with or after my evening meal but am experiencing quite high dawn phenomenon so am wondering if it's the metformin doing this?

Do you find taking it at different times affects you differently?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
hi eveshamgal, are you sure that you were told to take all you metformin in one go? Its very unusual. Metfomin is usually taken twice daily with food, it is important to take it 'with' food to help stop any nausea or stomach cramp problems.

I would at go back to your go and check with him or her, it really is NOT normal to take 2000mg all together.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok..... I've checked and it says take 2 daily with food but it doesn't say take them both together.

Will ring my nurse tomorrow to seeing I should be taking them together or not.

Tigris

I have to take my Metformin 500mg 3 x day.

The Dermatologist who is also a G.P. told me to take 1x evening meal the first week, 1 x morning and 1 evening meal the second week and now I take 3 a week which includes 1 at lunch time.

Maybe one on a morning and one at evening meal will be better for you. Hope you get sorted soon.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tigris said:
I have to take my Metformin 500mg 3 x day.

The Dermatologist who is also a G.P. told me to take 1x evening meal the first week, 1 x morning and 1 evening meal the second week and now I take 3 a week which includes 1 at lunch time.

Maybe one on a morning and one at evening meal will be better for you. Hope you get sorted soon.

Hi

I have been doing this For a week now and personally I feel it's working much better. Will see in a couple of months time at my next check up lol

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi i take x2 500g in the mroning and x2 500g at night, i never had any symptons at all of side effects, i forget all the time and eat them whenever i remember food or no food, just lucky i suppose :).... on saying that ive never had any symptons at all even before i didnt know i had the diabetes apart from being thirsty, never felt bad when i was mid twenties just never felt bad *shrug*....not complaining :)

Reactions: 2 people

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Hi just read what it said I am on me form in 2x1000mg every evening with my tea and have been since starting on slow release tablets which is over 2 yes now

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
"Normal" Metformin is fairly short acting. reaching its peak in about an hour and lasting about 4 - 5 hours overall.It's abovious that taking it an hour before your meal or with your food, will give the greatest effect in preventing spikes [most meals take about an hour to digest!].
I'm currently experimenting with mine, since I eat my main meal mid day and want to prevent spikes and Dawn Phenomenon.
I take 1 of my Met 500s at bed time to keep DP down. I'm trying this week with my other met 500 late morning to cover lunch, which is low carb [ I have carb free breakfast!]
I've been on Met 500X 2 for at least 8 years, but I used to have my main meal in the evening. Now I have Lunch and a mini-meal at about 6:30 pm.
I'm planning to ask my Gp if I could try the SR for a month to see if I can smooth my BG even more. I looked up the price and It's about 3 x the cost of the "normal", but that only costs about 3p per tablet. I found figures which suggest the Met 500SR is about 10p per tablet.
I wouldn't take a days worth of Met in one go for 2 reasons.
1}its effectiveness doesn't last long enough and 2} the bigger dose isn't twice as effecive. Once you have enough, It's enough. More doesn't work better!
Hana

mommydearest

Hi, I take 2 x500mg SR metformin at bedtime. Spoke to the pharmacist about when I should take them and he said as long as I take them at he same time it doesn't matter.I have been taking these or 3 years.

bev12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could anyone enlighten me on what "dawn phenomenon" is please???

dumpy222

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to take all my tablets in a morning 2000mg I however ignored this and take half in morning half at night! Otherwise I would be spending the whole day on the toilet

K

Kat100

I take 500 x 3

One with breakfast

Two with evening meal.....working so far.......x