Tingling Shoulder

gemz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, I have been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes for just over a year and am still in my Honeymoon Period but think I may have had Diabetes for some time before diagnoses, like a year or two, is that possible?

For quite a while before diagnosis I would feel really dizzy if I did not eat for a while and would feel like I was going to pass out if I did not eat sugar. I thought I was addicted to sugar, so tried to cut it out, but that made it worse.

Anyway I have had a tingling sensation in my shoulder. Could the tingling in my shoulder be the start of neuropathy? Does a anyone else get a tingling feeling and sensitivity on the back of their left shoulder? I have had this for years and just thought it could be diabetes related.

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have had tingling and pain in one of my shoulders but the GP didn't think it was related to my diabetes as I had only been diagnosed for a year at the time it first troubling me. It does come back from time but never lasts for a great deal of time once I start taking ibuprofen. I guess it is just a coincidence but it does worry you, especially as you are still coming to terms with having diabetes and worried about what the future may bring

Gary25566

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who don't say thank you
Hi Gemz personally I would say it's not related as problems like that often take years to happen

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Gem,
Is it just tingling or is there pain associated with it such as with lateral movements? Diabetics are more prone to some shoulder conditions such as frozen shoulder and calcific tendinitis but there is little known about why this is nor of how it could be prevented.

Just something to be aware of if it progresses at all.

J

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Unlikely to be neuropathy given the time you have been diagnosed and by the fact that you've had these symptoms for years, better to get your shoulder examined by your gp and see what they say.

basel

lets not live in the stone age, you need to look at diabetic cheiroarthropathy better known as crispy tendons or Subscapularis Tendinopathy i don,t think Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy would be the cause here

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am pretty sure you can't have t1 for long before diagnosis as it develops into diabetic keto acidosis. Certainly not fully developed t1 for more than a few days without being hospitalised. I am not sure exactly how fast that happens but for me it was a few days then straight to hospital. However I don't know how much earlier insulin function starts to reduce and whether it starts slow then speeds up. Perhaps someone knows more?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had symptoms also for years before diagnosis, knew something was wrong but want given any tests. I know assume I was lada, producing enough insulin to get by on till I had full onset of type 1, hospitalised because of ketoacidosis. as for the shoulder would visit gp.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App