Tingling turning to numbness

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Not sure if this is T2 related, over the last two weeks I have noticed a tingling sensation in my little finger and 4th finger, this has now turned to numbness and the tingling is now running down the left hand side of my left hand.

Just wondering if this could be a symptom of T2.

Would be grateful for any thoughts

Thanks

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be. I've had similar, and I'm 'only' prediabetic. I have a referral to a neurologist but chances are they are barking up the wrong diagnostic tree. I feel it is blood sugar related. You'd be better off getting a referral to a hospital that deals with specifically with diabetic complications if there is such a thing in your area. The neurologist I saw before was pretty good but dismissed blood sugar as a cause because I'd had a 'normal' fasting test that failed to pick up IGT. People may suggest B12 or ALA but in my experience they did nothing. Your GP may order some B12 tests to rule out deficiency.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and thanks for your reply, I have a meeting with my DN later in the week, I will raise the subject with her then, thks again

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Piper1775, my wife had carpel tunnel, and normally it does not effect the little finger, will get it checked though, the symptoms do sound the same as carpel thought

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
have you started exercising lately by any chance, when I started at the gym I had terrible pins and needles and numbness, my dn and pt reckons its the blood flowing more than usual into the extremities, not saying this is right but that's what they said and it has gone away, now I just get involuntary finger movement, when im having a bad day of them and I show people they think im doing it on purpose lol I aint, but if I have parkinsons or something I cant handle another issue so im enjoying my denial :)

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks. Have been walking but nothing more than that.

Before diagnosis i would of ignoted it but now i ask the questions just in cade

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sure I understand, specially being on the left side, maybe worth asking your gp, I know this isn't what you have but I worked with a fella that had a massive heart attack and hes only sympton was a pain in the palm of hes left hand, ended up having 6 months off work and an operation on hes ticker, my point being why no ask the gp or dn it cant do no harm

edit (listen to mr denial over here :roll: )

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you use a mouse a lot?
Is it both hands? Or just your mouse hand?

It could be ulnar tunnel syndrome - very similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. Since you are diabetic, it is definitely worth seeing your GP to rule out neuropathy. That said, apparently neuropathy often starts at the furthest extremities - i.e. toes before progressing to the hands.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
EllisB said:
Do you use a mouse a lot?
Is it both hands? Or just your mouse hand?

It could be ulnar tunnel syndrome - very similar to carpal tunnel syndrome. Since you are diabetic, it is definitely worth seeing your GP to rule out neuropathy. That said, apparently neuropathy often starts at the furthest extremities - i.e. toes before progressing to the hands.

Hi just in my left hand,thanks for your comments

DrPaulD

I also had this tingling and numbness but it began in some of my toes. The numbness is now permanent.
I went to see my GP and she is very clued in about Diabetes. She told me that this is a consequence of the Diabetes, which affects the nerve endings. I have type 2, which I manage very well with diet and Metformin.
She said that there is not enough research to understand the co-relation of the numbness and diabetes.
In the first instance, I was very concerned about it, but apart from loosing the feeling from the top of two toes, it has not progressed from there. She told me I could go and see a Neurologist, but he would not be able to reverse the numbness by medication or surgery.
I am afraid I just have to put up with it.
As you have mentioned Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and your little finger, this could be very different from what I have. Previously I have had CPS and had to have surgery to correct it.
I feel the only avenue you can explore is the Neurologist to see if CPS is the cause.
I would like to know if the feeling did come back, or was it permanent ?
All the best anyway. I hope you find the cause of your problem.

gwheads

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tablets the swallowing kind
I have carpel tunnel in both hands, and about to have operation on my right. I am also type 2 diabetic with tips of fingers all tingling and alternate numbness, also all f my toes have the same sensation. Carpel tunnel only affects three fingers and thumb on either hand not the little finger that must be something else get it checked. Diabetes nerve damage as far as I am aware affects all nerve endings and does not go into the hand or feet.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DrPaulD said:
I also had this tingling and numbness but it began in some of my toes. The numbness is now permanent.
I went to see my GP and she is very clued in about Diabetes. She told me that this is a consequence of the Diabetes, which affects the nerve endings. I have type 2, which I manage very well with diet and Metformin.
She said that there is not enough research to understand the co-relation of the numbness and diabetes.
In the first instance, I was very concerned about it, but apart from loosing the feeling from the top of two toes, it has not progressed from there. She told me I could go and see a Neurologist, but he would not be able to reverse the numbness by medication or surgery.
I am afraid I just have to put up with it.
As you have mentioned Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and your little finger, this could be very different from what I have. Previously I have had CPS and had to have surgery to correct it.
I feel the only avenue you can explore is the Neurologist to see if CPS is the cause.
I would like to know if the feeling did come back, or was it permanent ?
All the best anyway. I hope you find the cause of your problem.

Many thanks, went to see my GP, he was not overly concerned and has requested further blood tests

PatTM

Sounds like Carpal Tunnel or repetitive strain injury. I experienced exactly the same in the right hand when I took up knitting again after many years - have stopped again and it's much improved. Have you done anything recently which has over-exerted your left hand? Definitely see your GP but also try and work out what you've done differently, or repeatedly, in recent weeks/months. Good luck. :thumbup:

Merluna

This is interesting to me, I get a similar sensation in my calves and the skin around my right knee! I would describe it as more of a burning sensation than tingling but only when something rubs the skin, I have noticed it turns numb after too! I was assuming it was t2 related and was going to discuss it at my next appointment. It doesn't really bother me but like you said I think I'll mention it just in case! My sugars are well controlled and I've only had these symptoms since my sugars came right down! It's interesting someone mentioned b12 as I've also noticed hair thinning! :( and my GP has booked me a bt to see if it is b12 deficiency as metformin can cause absorption issues! I suppose they could be related!