Too much

star22

Hi does anyone else feel that there is "too much" information on diabetes to the extent they don't know what's right for them, also the amount of products and advice can be conflicting. Personally I should never have been diagnosed with Type 2 10 years ago as I was barely over the limit, but they pumped me with drugs and injections my weight went up 5 stone and I became very ill. I only went in for a health MOT. Worst thing I ever did in my entire life. Now type 2 with insulin, and diabetes is eating away at my body as much as I try to contain it. I believe there is not enough emphasis on stop diagnosing until all tests have been taken out, and a 3 month space to sort anything out health wise. So I'm upset that I ever went to my GP as my health has never been as good as the day I went to have that health check. A warning to anyone who may be diagnosed, get a second opinion.

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi star22. I know you've posted similar things over the years, but it would still help people to reply to you if you could tell us what medication you're currently taking, apart from insulin?

It might also help if you could give people an idea of what you would normally eat in the course of a day - are you trying to limit carb intake? And do you feel you want to shift some weight?

For what it's worth, there is in my view a lot of misinformation around, mainly on the internet - people who should know better confusing Type 1 with Type 2, for example, or people with something to sell pushing a particular "solution". I find that much of the "news" pages on the internet are at best unhelpful and at worst borderline dangerous.

I do think though that for some people not having an illness (such as Type 1) quickly recognised, diagnosed and treated could be fatal. There are times when quick action is really necessary.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish someone had told me I had had fatty liver and insulin resistance years before diagnosis. I had tried so hard to lose weight and didn't understand why diets didn't work for me.

12 years ago, when my poor pancreas couldn't keep up any longer I was diagnosed T2 . I researched and started a low carb diet which has helped me lose weight and stay off diabetes drugs so far, although since having Covid in 2020 it has been harder to keep my BGs under control.

Beating-My-Betes

I wish someone had told me I had had fatty liver and insulin resistance years before diagnosis. I had tried so hard to lose weight and didn't understand why diets didn't work for me.

12 years ago, when my poor pancreas couldn't keep up any longer I was diagnosed T2 . I researched and started a low carb diet which has helped me lose weight and stay off diabetes drugs so far, although since having Covid in 2020 it has been harder to keep my BGs under control.
I´d be surprised if I didn't have fatty-liver, but i absolutely know I'm very insulin-reistant. hasn't stopped me losing weight at all. My weight does and always has corresponded with my energy balance.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I´d be surprised if I didn't have fatty-liver, but i absolutely know I'm very insulin-reistant. hasn't stopped me losing weight at all. My weight does and always has corresponded with my energy balance.
Lucky you! Unfortunately I believed the 'Calories in/Calories out' message for way too long. I realised it was futile after 11 days of flu, 5 of them with 0 Calories consumed (just sips of water) and a further 6 days with 200-400 cals. I lost half a pound, whilst my son who managed a little more food than me and who had a little less exercise lost 11 and a half pounds.

It was then that I stopped the 800- 1000 Calorie diets and started eating whatever I wanted until I was satisfied. Then I cut out the 'white' carbs (including the brown versions of them ) and my body and metabolism started to slowly heal.

Beating-My-Betes

Lucky you! Unfortunately I believed the 'Calories in/Calories out' message for way too long. I realised it was futile after 11 days of flu, 5 of them with 0 Calories consumed (just sips of water) and a further 6 days with 200-400 cals. I lost half a pound, whilst my son who managed a little more food than me and who had a little less exercise lost 11 and a half pounds.

It was then that I stopped the 800- 1000 Calorie diets and started eating whatever I wanted until I was satisfied. Then I cut out the 'white' carbs (including the brown versions of them ) and my body and metabolism started to slowly heal.
Your metabolic issues don´t undermine the energy-balance model, they only demonstrate a certain amount of determined resiliance our bodies are capable of when defending itself from perceived starvation. But it can only go so far. We know this because anorexics exist and people do eventually starve when unfed for long enough.

But none of that changes your comments inferring that fatty-liver and insulin-resistance were the reason you couldn´t make any losses. For this to be true, it would be true in others. But the insulin-hypothesis of obesity has never and will never be proven true. There are countless examples of the extremely metabolically-broken people (like myself) who are able to lose weight, regardless of the level of carbs in our diets.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your metabolic issues don´t undermine the energy-balance model, they only demonstrate a certain amount of determined resiliance our bodies are capable of when defending itself from perceived starvation. But it can only go so far. We know this because anorexics exist and people do eventually starve when unfed for long enough.

But none of that changes your comments inferring that fatty-liver and insulin-resistance were the reason you couldn´t make any losses. For this to be true, it would be true in others. But the insulin-hypothesis of obesity has never and will never be proven true. There are countless examples of the extremely metabolically-broken people (like myself) who are able to lose weight, regardless of the level of carbs in our diets.
OK, so I was posting my own experience re diagnosis and the problems resulting from not being given the results of my blood tests years before. I wasn't suggesting that low carbing was the answer for everyone, just that it was right for me and I would have liked the chance to adopt that way of eating years before diagnosis.

This is/was my personal story. It may not apply to anyone else in the world but it's true for me. Please don't try to belittle me by arguing about it. n=1 and that's all that matters to me. How is your own attempt at reversing T2 on a high carb low fat diet going?

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have exactly described my situation about 15 years ago @zand I’d been to Weight Watches and gained weight even though I stuck to the diet sheet religiously, and don’t get me started on Slimming World’s philosophy of ‘you can eat as many jacket potatoes as you like as long as you don’t put butter on them!’ AAARRRRRGGGG! Four years ago (and I was diagnosed T2D about 10 years ago but didn’t know diet could change everything) I discovered LCHF and I’ve lost 4 stone since.

Beating-My-Betes

OK, so I was posting my own experience re diagnosis and the problems resulting from not being given the results of my blood tests years before. I wasn't suggesting that low carbing was the answer for everyone, just that it was right for me and I would have liked the chance to adopt that way of eating years before diagnosis.
In the comment to which I responded, you wrote "I wish someone had told me I had had fatty liver and insulin resistance years before diagnosis. I had tried so hard to lose weight and didn't understand why diets didn't work for me."

In the second sentence, it very much seems as though you are saying that it was the insulin-resitance and fatty-liver that stopped you losing weight.

Please don't try to belittle me by arguing about it.
Not my intention to belittle you at all. I'm attacking your ideas, not you.

How is your own attempt at reversing T2 on a high carb low fat diet going?
Ah, yes...this little chestnut.

My inability to stick to a certain plan doesn't debunk the plan itself. How many millions (hundreds of millions?) of people have failed to stick to keto since Atkins popularised it in the 70's? Does their failure undermine keto as an effective protocol for weightloss and lowering blood-sugar? Of course not.

Anyway, it's become very clear to me that you and I are not speaking the same language. So, this will be the last time I respond to you.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the comment to which I responded, you wrote "I wish someone had told me I had had fatty liver and insulin resistance years before diagnosis. I had tried so hard to lose weight and didn't understand why diets didn't work for me."

In the second sentence, it very much seems as though you are saying that it was the insulin-resitance and fatty-liver that stopped you losing weight.

Not my intention to belittle you at all. I'm attacking your ideas, not you.

Ah, yes...this little chestnut.

My inability to stick to a certain plan doesn't debunk the plan itself. How many millions (hundreds of millions?) of people have failed to stick to keto since Atkins popularised it in the 70's? Does their failure undermine keto as an effective protocol for weightloss and lowering blood-sugar? Of course not.

Anyway, it's become very clear to me that you and I are not speaking the same language. So, this will be the last time I respond to you.
For me, if someone has an opinion, which they arrive at from research and backed up by personal, lived experience, their opinion may not be 120% factually sound, but it is their opinion, which they own.

In this life, and on this forum, it is important that for sane, people, with capacity, that we respect others’ opinions. We need not agree with them, but we must respect their right to hold an opinion.

There are many members her on this forum, who hold strong views, sometimes we’ll adrift of the common thinking, but that’s fine. As a group we live and let live, surely?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys, please remember that this thread was started by star22 who has a particular issue about diagnosis. If you want to have an argument about another subject take it elsewhere, or posts will be removed for derailing.

Beating-My-Betes

For me, if someone has an opinion, which they arrive at from research and backed up by personal, lived experience, their opinion may not be 120% factually sound, but it is their opinion, which they own.

In this life, and on this forum, it is important that for sane, people, with capacity, that we respect others’ opinions. We need not agree with them, but we must respect their right to hold an opinion.

There are many members her on this forum, who hold strong views, sometimes we’ll adrift of the common thinking, but that’s fine. As a group we live and let live, surely?
I appreciare what you're saying, but this has nothing to do with opinions.

If someone wants to say: "Drum 'n' Bass is just noise made by talent-less people pretending to be musicians", I'll reply, "That's your opinion, but I happen to like it. Guess we all like different things".

That's a difference of opinion, and I respect others' opinions even if I disagree. However, this is a case of making, or at least inferring, specific claims. You said it yourself: "...which they arrive at from research".

The original comment strongly suggested that insulin-resistance and fatty-liver prevented weight-loss. I'm happy to see the research that shows that to be the case, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exis...and any attempt to ask gets shot down as being some kind of personal attack.

Opinions are all well and good. Claims require evidence.

...and don't call me Shirley ;)

Beating-My-Betes

Guys, please remember that this thread was started by star22 who has a particular issue about diagnosis. If you want to have an argument about another subject take it elsewhere, or posts will be removed for derailing.
Posted my last comment at the same time as you posted this. Don't worry, I'll leave now.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Me too Zand

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak and zand

Diablo T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@star22 - sorry to hear of your diagnosis experience. I feel I could well have had a similar experience as I was in despair when I found out I was diabetic. I feel lucky that I came across relevant information just in time and had a diabetes consultant willing to hold off on medication other than metformin while I tried other means of trying to get my blood sugar under control. I do think there is a lot of information out there and it certainly does take some effort sorting the wheat from chaff.

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak