Total Warrior...Help!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I am hoping to take part in Tough Mudder in September it is a 10k run with lots of evil obstacles, l have a PT who is excellent but he isn't trained in diabetes so am looking for extra training advice. l have been checking out posts here but can find no-one here who has done these type of events (Tough Mudder or equivalent) or have l missed them?
Many thanks for any help and advice on all aspects of the race, training, eating plan (should l stick to LCHF) l know l will need to take my glucose tablets with me but HELP!
blush2.gif

Some of the different type obstacles that they have

Many Thanks
MID

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
do you take insulin or any other hypo inducing meds? if not you certainly do not need glucose tablets

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yikes, that looks insane lol, i believe there is no need to not low carb when doing this or anything esle, its hard to find research about this, ive tried but i have found some people doing some crazy stuff low carbing without any problems, i am myself looking and trialling a low carb alternative to energy gels for the marathon, ive found that so far upto 15 miles i dont need anything, but that still leaves a long way lol, ill be interested in any replies you get :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Had a mate that did the toughguy challenge.
Biggest problem was the cold, done in January.
Dive hood, and maybe gloves. Don't know about your feet.
September should be better.
It uses an amazing amount of energy in a very short time, they weren't diabetic, so loaded up before on high carb food like pasta.
The balancing act is going to be how you load up before, and take your bs up, and how fast you use the energy.
Training was several months/weeks of gym, treadmill, spinning, circuit training.

That's a good place to see how your diet works, if you need to increase calories/fat/carbs, and measure your bs as you work.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've many friends who've done tough mudder, but none diabetics!

I have been thinking about a PT recently, but like you I worry about the diabetes side of things and wonder if ill be paying someone to make a shambles of my BG!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I am on metformin 1 BID so far ... hope to not need anything else. Was thinking the glucose tablets as back up, but l guess you saying liver dump will keep BG up? a point l hadn't thought of.

Well l am under your 15 miles so one thing a bit easier, as l hate running l need to start soon will speak to Ste next weekend, have been exercise biking to loosen up as knees are bad... l don't go the easy route in life
facepalm.gif

My PT is brilliant and pushes at just the right amount and good sense of humor... he needs it l am not his normal customer, for a start no music/noise to train to, he and Andy try, but l have made it clear a dropped kettle-bell will damage his machine!
l also wont call them burpees for gods sake they are frog jumps... l grew up with them called that they are that.

He is a strong believer in LCHFP (fat and protein) diets. Although not l think used to people who are just "keep fitters" being so strict on carb intake, they can be flexible though. He has one other diabetic type 1? who is on insulin and l don't think on a strict low carb as he said something about sweet potatoes and fruit.

My BG is stable from what l can see this is first session since l started LCHF
l took 3 readings today
pre breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs =5.8
2hrs later was half way through = 5.3
20 mins post end exercise 6.2
I ate 50g goats milk yogurt 1tsp flax and chia seed and 30 gram cheese, we went out and l was driving for the next hour so didn't take any more blood.

I do need to contact the organisers and am betting they may need a letter from my dn or dr that may be my hardest job so l will play it down .. l just want to go into a race only 10km
whistle3.gif

Shoes will be a nightmare l dont know what l will do, l will need some as do not know what is in the water and all sorts can get dragged in.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol, you do make me laugh :) i forgot about the shoes too, ack :stinkyfeet: my 15 miles was on flat ground, i didnt have to climb over or crawl under anything, that looks tough, i couldnt tell them about the db (but thats me) nothing is gonna stop you anyway so you may cause yourself trouble telling them (again just me) my PT hated me, im a big bloke and she was tiny so im sure she was trying to prove a point lol

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are on metformin I see no reason you shouldn't succeed, even a T1 could do it. It just requires a little more planning.

The 10K I have known other people to do didn't require gluco tabs etc to complete. Just a good breakfast!

I want a PT for motivation. I dont need to lose weight or anything, I just want to be more active but I've been trying and I'm clearly not going to do it without someone pushing me a bit!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the lady at my running club who does ultras like there a walk to the bus stop whoi has a friend who is low carbing, she tried the glucose gels during a distance run and collapsed, i dont know why but i suppose it was the sugar rush lol so definatly no glucose tabs you dont need them

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am hoping to take part in Tough Mudder in September it is a 10k run with lots of evil obstacles, l have a PT who is excellent but he isn't trained in diabetes so am looking for extra training advice. l have been checking out posts here but can find no-one here who has done these type of events (Tough Mudder or equivalent) or have l missed them?
Many thanks for any help and advice on all aspects of the race, training, eating plan (should l stick to LCHF) l know l will need to take my glucose tablets with me but HELP!
blush2.gif

Some of the different type obstacles that they have

Many Thanks
MID
The answer lies in training and it is quite simple stick to your normal routine etc and synch the training time to the acual time of even as you get closer to the date.

For example a type 1 running a 400 metres who is not used to it will experience low blood sugar afterwards due to the shock of the event a trained athlete type 1 diabetes would be more regulated.

Therefore in training test you blood sugar b4 commencing and myself I would not start it to low i would commence on a statice reading i.e not ready to fall or rise quickly. You should be able to get through the training if you are in tune with your type 1 and test immeadiatley after to see what effect it has.

I have trained for last 30+ years and do 2 hr stints of a mix of boxing,runnning and strength training all in one sitting as I do not have time mid week with faimily committments and I always commence with 10mins mix of 10press ups 20 situps and 10 pull ups and finish with 2 * 100 press ups. This regime I have done like clockwork week in week out when younger is was twice a week and it has kept me fit and healthly this my routine so I do not have hypos.

The main thing to remember competition pushes you harder so make sure you have some glucose with but if you have trained as near as you can for it which is not always easy you should have no problems. I carried a triple extension ladder 400m to a property the other day as there were access problems and could not take the van up the road. It was all uphill and windy I do not usually do this may arm was burning and my heart pumping as I am over 50 and i was hype that evening due to pushing myself past waht I am used to. Mind you I should not have carried it vertically using only arm strentgth like I was going to toss a caber.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks Miklo well l have hope as don't intend to carry a ladder... dare we ask why you carried it vertical?

I texted "my boss" today to ask about starting to run. Been informed l will be starting in May, until then l have to do between 30min/1hr 3 or 4 times a week on the exercise bike. Was having a look at the Park Run info Andy put up there is one fairly local so that appeals once l am allowed to start. and it is half the distance l will be in the race.

Press ups are out they cause to much havoc with my knees, but up to now l have mixed exercise bike/abby sitting thing/6kg kettlebell routines in groups. Will continue but lengthen them all especially the bike as per instructions.

I have been way out of exercise for many years like a lot of people always tomorrow, well tomorrow has arrived... OUCH!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't done a Tough Mudder, as obstacle courses don't really appeal. However, I compete in orienteering and trail races and will add fell races this year (possible due to moving from fens to moors / fells / hills), which often involve passing through very wet and / or muddy places, as best route between 2 orienteering controls might be across a marsh, and in winter, feet will be breaking through thin ice. Tips I'd give are to wear woollen socks for a small amount of warmth, use insoles if tour need them to make shoes fit tightly, and tie laces very securely, then bind knots with tape, so they won't come off until you want them to, when you may need someone else to cut the tape if your hands are too cold!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Thanks Copepod I will bear that in mind though god knows what footwear l will end up with, l don't want to even think that part yet
dash2.gif
wacko1.gif

.... l can feel a group of members here having hysterics at your footwear advice after my barefoot post ... suck it up you lot :mad:

MID
cray2.gif

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
:stinkyfeet: i think you should do it barefoot :) but seriously dont wait until the day to put the shoes on, get the blisters out of the way before hand ESPECIALLY you :)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l know Andy l am in a cleft stick, I would have a problem with trying to work out when to try shoes and what sort even if l wasn't diabetic... l want to go barefoot but l am also sensible, well at times, leaving aside the diabetic side not knowing what the hell will be in the water or possible damaged obstacles.

MID

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
could look at those good idea but still the covered foot problem :)). I have some as we kayak have worn them in winter as it can get .... cold but as l am on my bum not walking not sure how good they would be. When we did our rescue course and spent a lot of time in the river and walking through very thick mud and coarse river gravel on the river floor ...l didn't actually use them, l forgot l had them and they were not all that cheap :banghead:

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Miklo well l have hope as don't intend to carry a ladder... dare we ask why you carried it vertical?

I texted "my boss" today to ask about starting to run. Been informed l will be starting in May, until then l have to do between 30min/1hr 3 or 4 times a week on the exercise bike. Was having a look at the Park Run info Andy put up there is one fairly local so that appeals once l am allowed to start. and it is half the distance l will be in the race.

Press ups are out they cause to much havoc with my knees, but up to now l have mixed exercise bike/abby sitting thing/6kg kettlebell routines in groups. Will continue but lengthen them all especially the bike as per instructions.

I have been way out of exercise for many years like a lot of people always tomorrow, well tomorrow has arrived... OUCH!
Just had a look at the Tough Mudder and it does look very tough indeed but you look to be on the right training lines. My training which worked for me as I said earlier is based on endurance and if I were you would work towards it. For example start light with warm ups excersise cycle and a rower if you have one concept rowers are excellent the move on to the kettlebells they are expensive but I use heavy one for the deadlifts one in each hand and also squats. Also do the swings and light shoulder lifts calf raises etc. Then do some skipping shadow boxing and finish of with a 1hrs run. If you work up to this you should be fine by putting them all together in one session you will get to know your body and glucose and energy requirements build up till you can do 2hrs of a good work rate. Note I presume you have the medical ok to be doing this and you have no underlying problems except your diabetes. Not sure why I carried them vertically but once of the top of the van I dont like to lay them flat as I am not strong enoughh to get them back vertical againt domestic property without fear of damaging windows or plastic guttering.

Good Luck

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Errmm no not actually mentioned it due to see DN 15thish feb.
Have a heart check on excercise and echo to sort but cardiologist agrees it looks stress, unfitness and left over effects of undiagnosed type 2 and agreed excercise is good...umm no didnt mention but did say l had a PT :-D

We have a 6kg kettlebell and built excercises around that, have nice excercise bike and a thing for abs? lie on it has hoop hold that pull up seat back to sit up also various excercises squats and stretches ..keep forgetting to do stretches :-(
Not allowed skipping and push ups due to knees...idea is bike to help build them.

Making notes of it all and going to build everything into the routines many thanks

MID :)