Total Warrior...Help!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
do you say bikes are good for knees? i have knee pain and if thats the case ill be cycling

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I understand swimming is best but that isnt possible, the excercise bike allows structured excercise, even workout...not out on undulating roads using different leg pressures, mine has 8 settings l use 3 & 4, breaks in the lounge..not miles from anywhere if it gets to much. l got it from argos will look it up and let you have details.

Also forgot to mention l have ligament damage in both lower legs..... just remembered that part l did mention it to the PT when we started there. l tend to forget about that. ummmmm dont think any other health problems :))

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thankyou, my knee hurts when i run but im afriaid to ask doc in case he says dont do the marathon and this isnt an option, maybe i should use the gym that costs a bloody fortune and i never go to :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
that reminds me of when i went to hospital recently peeing blood and the doc asks me a dozen questions about the peeing (turned out to be bladder stones) and the doc says apart from that any other things wrong? no i proudly proclaim im fine and the wife looks at me like the shocked face smiley and i say oh and theres the diabetes and chronic kidney disease (untreated) lol

Reactions: 2 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Exercise Bike it is £69 we paid the £119 *sighs* Ahh well anyhow excellent bit of kit.
And have this 6kg kettlebell

I agree with gyms if everyone went who pays the equipment would wear out a lot faster, they use numbers of payers not users of the place to make a living. You may be able to get a local PT or a boot camp to help you out.

The abs thing was from a friend never used.

It's is just that you kind of forget the little things health wise l understand am the same as you see :))

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Have booked my slot on the race slight problem l was convinced it was Tough Mudder September but no l go Total Warrior August for the insane race that apparently is second only to Spartan that is wayyy out my league (l don't want to do that obstacle... no problem 40 burpees)

Because l am stepping up training as l have also ordered The Protein Works...protein shake looks quite good from my week and a half hunting checking ingredients etc. Still waiting for 3 company's to get back to me regarding type 2 and their product l liked the look of.... their loss.
The site directs you to diabetic friendly and has a proper phone number not a 0845 and the like or just email.

Today have booked a B & B the Llamas Pajamas looks fantastic about 11 miles away everything else is chock full. Yes has llamas and all sorts. Go up on the Friday home post race. Decided home afterwards and my own bed.

Have also taken Dave's advice sort of regards shoes and spoke to Inov8 about things and today has sent me into shock l have NEVER paid £107 (both were half price) for 2 pairs of shoes and have never bought 2 pairs of shoes at the same time. Think my limit was about £20 for the ones l still wear (sort of) got married in them first and second time round

Inov8 Baregrip 200 (for the race)
and
Inov8 Bare x 200 (to train in), l found that when l go out it is cold about 7am and thudding round my feet froze it wasn't comfy. Walking barefoot in the cold to running in the cold is a big difference and ran in crocs couple of times, nearly broke my neck as well several times as they are slippery and not good. (bottom of the training shoe l ordered has a grip pattern of a skeletal foot hehehehe

All systems go
MID o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
ermmm well still not really recognisable as a running gait but l think another week l will be ok and if so will push it up a few seconds to something like 30 / 30 for a week and slowy build it up....

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you say bikes are good for knees? i have knee pain and if thats the case ill be cycling
Be very careful with that assumption.

Bike is no better for knee pain if you have it set up wrong.

If you have knee pain look at your running style, and shoes. Heel strikers tend to experience more of those kind of pains, mid-forefoot strikers less. You could look at the heel-toe differential on your shoes.

Someone like MID, who barefoot a lot has gone with zero drop shoes (and very good ones at that) I have zero drop on most of mine, 4mm on one pair. Most running shoes have anywhere from 18-24mm.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
cheers dave, my knee touch wood seems to have cured itself, im stretching it out through the day whenever i think about it, my right foot though is killing me for a month now the physio said it was tendonitus, it only hurts when i walk, its fine when im running but seems to be getting worse :( i just rested it for a week and its got worser still, i have brooks ghost trainers from having my feet video done so i think my trainers are good, i try to concentrate on landing correctly and not heal striking although downhills i do tend to, im getting worried now as im running out of time until the marathon, i feel like im going backwards at the moment :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Interesting that thanks Dave. I am going to have to learn to run in these shoes l think. When l went to the gym and was being shown how to use equipment and a small routine worked out l was the only one allowed on the treadmill with no shoes. The guy showing me what to do was going nuts because with shoes my feet just wouldn't place right so l was special permission only one at the gym allowed barefoot on equipment