Toujeo 300

carrie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello I’m type 2 and after 10 years on Metformim and Lantus I’ve had to stop Metformin because it made me so sick I could not leave the house, so my readings were all over the place, now I’ve been told I’m changing to Toujeo Solostar 300, I’ve never heard of it and was hoping someone could give me some feedback about it, thanks

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a basal insulin similar to Lantus, but supposedly longer acting with less of a "peak" effect. The "300" just means it's triple concentrated, so that if you inject 60 units it's the same volume (CC's) as 20 units of the standard IU-100 formulation. It's more convenient for people who use a lot of units with one injection. It only comes in calibrated pens so you can't mess up and take 3 times as much insulin as you need by accident. It's more expensive than Lantus, which now comes in a generic called Basaglar. That saved me over 50% compared to brand name Lantus.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello I’m type 2 and after 10 years on Metformim and Lantus I’ve had to stop Metformin because it made me so sick I could not leave the house, so my readings were all over the place, now I’ve been told I’m changing to Toujeo Solostar 300, I’ve never heard of it and was hoping someone could give me some feedback about it, thanks
Yes a great basal. I've been on it about 6 months. Great basal insulin.
I disagree that it's a third stronger. It works out less insulin units compared to Lantus but definitely not a third less.
I was using a mixed insulin and using just under 300units per day. 70% basal and 30% not fast acting but an insulin I had to inject 20mins before food.
Toujeo300 is great for one injection which last over 24hrs.
I inject on a morning and have a 3hr window every morning but you can chose what 3hr window suits you as long as same window time span every day.

@Cumberland uses this one too.

I highly recommend it for steady bgs.
I know when I'm on too much as I hypo in sleep then my liver dumps and brings it back up to 5s and 6s. I could change it to a new window, slowly but very rare this happens.
I miss it one day and took it late. I thought it would have been a big job to fall back into original window time but it was very easy. I've never missed since.
I'm very happy with mine.
I will take a picture of info leaflet, if you need it.
Or google it. I downloaded a great explaination of its strength. I'll try and find it for you.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you so much was beginning to think no one used it, I would be gratefull for the info
Approx. 38units instead of 100units of Lantus hun.

Still looking for the great blog.