Toujeo insulin doesn't seem to be working - please help!?

ThePQ88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all - this seems to be becoming a common occurrence. This is the story line from last night and this morning....

9.55pm - blood sugar level of 5.1
10.00pm - inject 44 units of Toujeo
6.40am - blood sugar level of 14.2

Between 10pm and sleeptime, I didn't eat or drink a thing.

I really don't know whether this Toujeo insulin I'm using is actually working! How can I have injected 44 units (forty four) at 10pm last night and woken up with blood sugar levels over 14?!

Something doesn't seem right here.

Anyone else use Toujeo - does it work for you?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, is 44 units always been your usual amount or has it gone up, have you spoken to your DSN yet ? I can't give you any advice on Toujeo, as I am on Levemir, hopefully some other members will be along with helpful advice, take care.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ThePQ88 if you think your insulin isn't working, bin it and start a fresh pen.

If you think your basal dose isn't working for you do a basal test and make adjustments to your dosage - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

You might be having dawn phenomen, increased basal dose might help with that but be careful because it might drop you too low early in the night if increased enough to deal with DP - if that's the problem you might need to think about an early morning bolus or a pump.

First step is basal testing to figure out what's going on with you background dose.

Reactions: DaftThoughts

βɪℒʟẙ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im on Toujeo. I had some high readings in the mornings so was told to inject in the morning instead of before bed.. Me being me i thought that aint gonna change a thing - but it did!.

Try something as simple as that, worked for me

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I was switched to Toujeo last July and went from 33.0 + to now under 10.0 and usually within range

It works for me

Good luck we're all different what works for some may not work for others