Travel abroad

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hey everyone.
I’m currently using freestyle libre 2 sensors and am on novorapid and lantus.
Did anyone have any issues going through security?
Also I don’t suppose anyone knows if there would be an issue travelling back from Tenerife to the uk?
Thank you

Reactions: filly

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jaz132
Me, my diabetes, my insulin and my Libres have done lots of flying together and never had any problems.
The usual advice is to get a letter from your doctor (unlike a GP, a hospital based doctor or DSN don't charge for these) which will explain that you must keep all your diabetes goodies with you at all times. To be honest, in 20 years and literally, hundreds of flights, I have shown my now very tattered letter once.
Some people pre-empt any questions by telling security. I chose not to spread personal information unnecessarily and they hardly ever ask.
If you have any unused insulin cartridges (I assume you use reusable pens), it is probably worth putting these in a clear plastic bag as some security guys are a little over eager when it comes to liquid.

Not security related but from my years of experience, my top tip is to make sure your hypo treatment is with you in your seat - not in the overhead locker with the rest of your diabetes kit (do not put it in the hold). I once had a hypo whilst taking off and had to endure the wrath of the cabin crew by standing up to get my hypo treatment out. Not a mistake I made twice.

Reactions: Jaz132

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also used to inform check-in and security. Now I say nothing and it is unusual for anything to be mentioned. However security like swabbing my insulin pump. I don't have a letter but do take my printed prescription. I think I've only needed to produce that twice in 10 years.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
. I don't have a letter but do take my printed prescription.
I do not have a printed prescription. Everything is done electronically.
I guess I could show the prescription request on my NHS app but, even when prescription were paper, I never showed it.

Jaz132

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Update: I’ve spoken to my diabetic nurse who said I should get a letter from my gp.
I was wondering what other people use to keep their insulin cool. I have been recommended frio wallets but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Update: I’ve spoken to my diabetic nurse who said I should get a letter from my gp.
I was wondering what other people use to keep their insulin cool. I have been recommended frio wallets but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions
GPs typically charge for such letters and in 20 years on literally 100s of flights, I have needed my letter once.
I see my letter as "insurance" but airport security have not questioned my diabetes kit for many years(they care about blades longer than 5cm not 4mm needles) so it really is a back up. I know others take a copy of their prescription in case they are questioned.

I would definitely go for Frio wallets. In fact, I do use Frio wallets. They are so convenient and last for years (I still have and use the ones I bought 20 years ago).
Some people take a small vacuum flask - I think you can get them for insulin.
Do not use cool bags that use ice blocks as these can freeze your insulin. Likewise, when you get to your hotel, be wary of a fridge in your room as sometimes, these can be badly maintained and may be too cold.

If you do not already have reusable pens, I highly recommend them. The cartridges take up far less space when travelling and they are much more robust as well as being better for the environment than the single use ones.

Last edited: