Travel Advice Please

Tahdah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted on here for a while, but your help was invaluable when my diabetes was so out of control late last year.

Just to update on what happened, I was put on gliclazide and metformin to try and get my levels down however I discovered I am allergic to metformin so the DN decided that given my high levels (glucose readings in the 20's) that I should go straight onto insulin. It was all a bit of a shock as I went from perfect control with diet only, to my pancreas totally failing and to being on insulin in the space of two months. I am now taking 36 mls of novomix twice daily and my Hba1c count has gone from 9 at the beginning of January down to 6 this week, so I am quite pleased with myself :)

I am going away next week, I am off to Mexico so I am just going to count the day of travel as a very long day and give my insulin evening injection later, tbh I don't inject at the same time every day anyway so I am hoping this will be ok.

I am a little confused about what to do at the airport. I have got a letter from the gp, my latest prescription, frio pouches for transporting insulin, double the amount of everything I need, a needle clipper but I am really confused about what to do with my insulin pens.

Do I have to take them all out of the frio pouches and put them into clear plastic bags to go through customs ?

Also if I go off on a day trip in Mexico, as it's very hot will I need to put the insulin pen I am using into a frio pouch if I go out for the day to stop it getting too warm or will it be ok loose in my handbag ?

Thank you for any help with this, it's my first time travelling as a insulin diabetic so I am a little nervous.

Suze xx

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've flown across the Atlantic to Mexico & Costa Rica, before diagnosis & starting insulin in 1996, then Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador and Chile (twice, once going onto Argnetina, other time going onto Falklands & South Georgia).
For deciding when to take long acting insulin, I find a dual time digital watch is helpful - I make day a bit longer and get it to "local" time as soon as possible, although if your trip is short, say 2 weeks or less, you might want to stay on UK time - dual time watch will help with that, too.
Personally, I don't use Frio pouches, but much a much cheaper and more robust staineless steel vaccuum flask, with no water for passing through security, then add cool tap water once through. I have a letter from clinic, but have never been asked to show it. I leave my insulin pens and cartidges in my hand luggage, without removing them into clear plastic bags, but would happily show them if asked. I don't take flask out on day trips, but do keep my daysack (only a handbag for weddings, family anniversaries etc and presentation at Buckingham Palace!) out of direct sunshine (don't go on beach holidays, but a parasol would give shade) and away from vehicle engines etc wherever possible. My pencil case containing pen, spare cartridges & needes etc is deep inside rusckasack, where temperatures aren't too extreme.

A few useful phrases / words for you:
No puedo tomer azucar = I can't take sugar (covers both eating and drinking)
pan = bread
arroz = rice
papa or patata = potato

Buen viaje! = travel well

linkinparkfan

Dislikes
I still eat like am not a diabetic LOL
holiday help

Hi,

i am type 1 currently on levimir and novorapid i am going away for a week in spain in mid may and am worried about all my medication how to handle it because were flying any tips first time going away with diabetes :shock: ?