Travel to south east asia

Jo123

We're thinking of going to cambodia and vietnam on holiday, will be touring around.
Is it possible to low carb, I'm not a vegetarian but too much meat or fish gives me indigestion, will there be anything to eat for me!

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We're thinking of going to cambodia and vietnam on holiday, will be touring around.
Is it possible to low carb, I'm not a vegetarian but too much meat or risk gives me indigestion, will there be anything to eat for me!
I think that @AndBreathe has done some travelling in SE Asia, and she's eating low carb. She might be able to share some tips. :)

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

• Agree
Reactions: jjraak and Jo123

Jo123

It does look amazing but I feel a bit disheartened reading about the food, it sounds as if low carbing will be very difficult.
I've low carbed for 14 year and holidays are the one time I feel a bit fed up, at home it's easy!

I hope @AndBreathe can help.

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It does look amazing but I feel a bit disheartened reading about the food, it sounds as if low carbing will be very difficult.
I've low carbed for 14 year and holidays are the one time I feel a bit fed up, at home it's easy!

I hope @AndBreathe can help.
I think you'll do fine with some tips!

Reactions: jjraak and Jo123

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it possible to low carb, I'm not a vegetarian but too much meat or risk gives me indigestion, will there be anything to eat for me!
Done India, Thailand & Vietnam .

Wasn't exactly strict , each was a Holiday I wanted to enjoy, not endure .

But sensible attention to what was ok-ish in the menu served me well.

But I might add, while I don't eat much fish, I did & do enjoy meat dishes, so my journeys were perhaps that bit easier.

If I was advising the pre traveler ME .

I'd say, go with your eyes open, choose wisely where possible

Enjoy & embrace the people cultures & atmosphere.

If it's not great when you get back.

You'll have all the great memories, a sun tan to be envied, and the chance to double down & improve the numbers once back on 'home' turf .

Hope the trip is everything you hope for .

Very jealous ... :arghh: :cool:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible to low carb, I'm not a vegetarian but too much meat or fish gives me indigestion, will there be anything to eat for me!

Jo, I literally landed home yesterday following a 3-month trip to Thailand. I low carb, and I low carbed there.

To be honest, the secret is just to understand what you are being offered and make your best choice, just like in UK. Yes, there are rice and noodle options, but that is not the sum total of cuisine in that part of the world.

In UK, if we eat Thai (or from that region), I'll tend to have the main event - the curry or whatever, and just swerve the rice or noodles. They don't bat an eyelid. I always finds I lose weight in that part of the world, probably because I'm still eating low carb, but active, and walking a lot. My 3-month trip averaged just under 10km a day, but that's another story.

I've come back from this most recent trip around 5kg lighter than I went. I was already slight, so will ideally regain a bit of that in the coming weeks and months, although there's no urgency.

This time around I found an excellent translation App for Thai/English, which allows for writing in what you want to say, speaking (but the translatioon is written only), or taking a picture of something in Thai (or English) and the content of the pic being translated. Pretty nifty for menus, I can tell you!

The cornerstones of Thai cooking are sweet, sour, hot and salty, so many dishes will have sugar in them, although often only a small amount.

I don't know how long you intend to be travelling. If it is a couple of weeks, then just wing it. You won't likely do any mortal damage if you have a few more carbs. If your trip is a lot longer, then do try to find a translation app, because whilst English is spoken in the big hotels and other places you would expect, there is often nobody with English in eateries or shops.