Travel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi . Hoping someone could give me a bit of advice. Basically I had type 2 and managed to reverse it quite recently by losing weight and being on metformin. I am now pregnant and the diabetes clinic have kept me on metformin even though my HbA1c is at 45 and have now added insulin. My question (even though my husband thinks it’s a stupid one) is what do you do with your insulin needles while traveling? I have a sharps box at home so obviously can’t take that with me and do you need a doctors letter to cover you? I’m flying to Madrid with Ryanair.

chaoticliloj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi, you’d need a doctors letter saying what you’re taking with you and a copy of your prescription attached. With regards to the sharps box, I’ve purchased a travel one from Amazon for quite cheap. You’ll also need to ask for some ice to put your insulin in on the flight as they won’t put it in the fridge at all

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi . Hoping someone could give me a bit of advice. Basically I had type 2 and managed to reverse it quite recently by losing weight and being on metformin. I am now pregnant and the diabetes clinic have kept me on metformin even though my HbA1c is at 45 and have now added insulin. My question (even though my husband thinks it’s a stupid one) is what do you do with your insulin needles while traveling? I have a sharps box at home so obviously can’t take that with me and do you need a doctors letter to cover you? I’m flying to Madrid with Ryanair.

The rules state that you need a letter from your doctor that explains you are travelling with sharps and insulin. I have a letter but have never been asked for it. GP's usually charge for this, hospitals usually provide them free. Get an undated one so that you can reuse it.

You can put used sharps in a multitude of things. I often use an empty 330ml water bottle - but you could use an old sauce jar if there's room in you suitcase.

The Frio insulin wallet is a good way of keeping insulin cool. They are available on Amazon, ebay and direct from Frio.
Make sure you carry insulin, do not put it in the hold because it will probably freeze and be useless afterwards.