Travelling Abroad, What do I need to do?

Brookemurph

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

I've been Type 1 for just over a year now and am traveling abroad for the first time since diagnosis.
I've got a package holiday with TUI and wondering what I need to do in advance.

I'm aware I need to get a letter from my GP regarding carrying needles etc as I am on MDI.
Do I also need to ring the airline in advance and notify them I'm diabetic? I'm worried as I also use a Libre 2 sensor and whether I can use this on the flight with my phone through bluetooth and how I can carry extra sensors. Of course my insulin will be in a Cabin Bag.
Can my sensors go through all the different scanners in security including the one i'll be wearing at the time?

Any help is appreciated!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have flown hundreds of times since my Type 1 diagnosis and had no problems.

My approach has always been to tell the fewest people of my personal health conditions. For example, I only tell security if they spot my insulin pens (they used to be metal so showed up on the x-ray) and only tell the airline if they ask whether I have any sharps when I check in. I have never contacted anyone in advance.

I have used Libre and other CGMs onboard the flight. Bluetooth is short range so does not have any impact on the plane (and other people use Bluetooth headphones). Security scanners have had no impact on them. (The only concern is with insulin pumps which you do not have.)

I doctor's letter is recommended. In all my flights, I have been asked for it once but I prefer to carry it for insurance. However, the recommendation is to request this from your diabetes consultant as GPs will charge you for the letter and the consultant will not.

If you are going somewhere hot, you mat benefit from a Frio pouch to keep your insulin in to keep it cool.

The only other thing I would check prior to travel is that your travel insurance covers your diabetes. In my mind, this is the one thing that is most likely to go wrong and would hate to be told that I lost/damaged insulin or injury due to a hypo or DKA are not covered.

Nearer the time, make sure you take at least twice as much of everything that you think you need and carry it in your hand luggage.

And finally, have an amazing holiday!

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have spares of everything and leave them with a traveling companion. If the worst comes to the worst local hospital or pharmacy will help. Some things are available OTC too.

Peter119

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

My approach has always been to tell the fewest people of my personal health conditions. For example, I only tell security if they spot my insulin pens (they used to be metal so showed up on the x-ray) and only tell the airline if they ask whether I have any sharps when I check in. I have never contacted anyone in advance.

I have used Libre and other CGMs onboard the flight. Bluetooth is short range so does not have any impact on the plane (and other people use Bluetooth headphones). Security scanners have had no impact on them. (The only concern is with insulin pumps which you do not have.)

I doctor's letter is recommended. In all my flights, I have been asked for it once but I prefer to carry it for insurance. However, the recommendation is to request this from your diabetes consultant as GPs will charge you for the letter and the consultant will not.

If you are going somewhere hot, you mat benefit from a Frio pouch to keep your insulin in to keep it cool.

The only other thing I would check prior to travel is that your travel insurance covers your diabetes. In my mind, this is the one thing that is most likely to go wrong and would hate to be told that I lost/damaged insulin or injury due to a hypo or DKA are not covered.

Nearer the time, make sure you take at least twice as much of everything that you think you need and carry it in your hand luggage.

Apart from the pump (which I do not have), I have exactly this experience - loads of flights, never an issue, never pre-notify (except airline for meals) - always have far more than I need, always hand baggage, never a problem at security/scanning and no problem with use of CGM (Libre) on flight. Bon voyage.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Never been asked for a letter do I don't bother now - they see plenty of us travelling so are used to it.

Always take x3 of what you think you'll need, got caught out once, never again, keep everything in hand luggage as baggage can and does go missing, apart from that try not to stress too much as that will affect your BG levels, I tend to crash on the plane once relaxed and that's when i need glucose, have a fab time.

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems we've all had the same experience. In the early days when I was age 12 and 13 my mum used to say "My son has diabetes" to airport baggage handlers and the like. I realised quite early on, they just don't care.

For the last five years at least, when I go through airports I tell them nothing at all and it never comes up. They must see these things often enough to know it's just medical equipment. Sensors never seem to set anything off either.

Reactions: Aimeekane

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I travel twice a year within europe with sensors and insulin and the only thing i add to the clear plastic bag for security is an up to date copy of my prescription.

Enjoy

Tony

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to crash on the plane once relaxed and that's when i need glucose, have a fab time.
That reminds me of a tip based on my personal experience: keeping everything in hand luggage is definitely recommended. But once you sit down on the plane, don't put everything in the overhead locker; make sure your hypo treatment is with you in your seat.
Experiencing evil glares and warnings over the public address when I had to stand up to get my dextrose, as the plane was taking off, was nearly as bad as the hypo itself.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@In Response That's a great point - because it's generally during take off that I go low and nothing more uncomfortable than disturbing those around you, I have a handbag as well as hand luggage so it's easier to keep things to hand, but if your male or prefer just to use hand luggage then that's a different story.

Nick25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I can confirm from personal experience that you need to keep easy access to your hypo treatment at all times. Have had several hypos induced by the long walks through aircraft terminals and it's quite easy to struggle to find your glucose amidst all the other stuff you are carrying. And it definitely needs to be in your pockets or in the airline seat so you can still access it if the fasten seat belt sign is on.

I've only once needed a letter from a doctor (Hong Kong airport were being picky and I'd stopped bothering to carry one) but I managed to find an old diabetic membership card which kept them happy.

Reactions: Juicyj and Antje77

Nick25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Use your pockets?
As a male I wear a small pouch on a belt , which ensures insulin/pens and glucose tester+ strips go everywhere I do- so in an emergency it would come with me if required to evacuate without hand luggage
Use your pockets?
Hi Everyone,

I've been Type 1 for just over a year now and am traveling abroad for the first time since diagnosis.

I'm aware I need to get a letter from my GP regarding carrying needles etc as I am on MDI.
Do I also need to ring the airline in advance and notify them I'm diabetic? I'm worried as I also use a Libre 2 sensor and whether I can use this on the flight with my phone through bluetooth and how I can carry extra sensors. Of course my insulin will be in a Cabin Bag.
Can my sensors go through all the different scanners in security including the one i'll be wearing at the time?

Any help is appreciated!

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Nick25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

Any help is appreciated!
Been travelling as Type 1 for over 40 years. Sensible to think about in advance and then all will be fine.
Single most important recommendation . Sort out/ buy a small pouch you can fit on a belt , big enough to include insulin pens+ few spare needles,antiseptic wipes, blood glucose monitor ,lancer and test strips and source of glucose ( I use sugar lumps) . Worn on your belt it goes with you everywhere - minimal chance of getting lost/ stolen and even leaves the plane with you in an emergency! You will need to remove it and put through the X ray machine at customs , otherwise causes problems when going through body scanner.
Freestyle sensors are very new to me , but reading instructions last week manufacturer said do not take through body scanner - worth a separate extra question on this forum perhaps?
Apart from the supply on belt, you should pack complete set of all meds in two cases if possible . I travel with my wife so she has one set, but obviously that is not so easy if single or travelling with strangers.
No need to tell airline but wise to explain about symptoms of hypo to travelling companion including clear instructions on where to find glucose or your preferred emergency treatment.
Travelling can easily disturb your diabetic control , especially if getting up early , having disrupted meals etc so I carry snacks , so I can eat to a suitable amount of carbohydrate on my own schedule regardless of delays, disruptions, lack of catering etc. Think about being entirely self reliant for time of whole journey - including arriving at hotel after kitchen has closed . Make allowance for delays these days.
If travelling somewhere, hot there are insulated bags of every conceivable size and shape these days ( I went back packing round Europe for a month 40 years ago before insulated bags using thermos flasks to insulate my insulin. I travelled with a friend who kindly carried my spare duplicate supply . At the end we went different places for the last week but forget to transfer the insulin back to me, so he had to go through several sets of customs/ immigration ( pre EU) carrying the potentially suspicious package of a vacuum flask containing several unmarked glass bottles - the labels had come off in the melting ice) Without me as the diabetic to explain! Lot easier these days).
A prescription is also a useful back up just in case.
If going somewhere hot, watch for dehydration but remember those lovely cocktails are packed with glucose!
Have a great time.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nick25 some useful advice but
- not everyone wears a belt. I definitely don't with my leggings which are my standard travel clothing. Belts have to be removed at security so I like to avoid them. Anything attached to a belt makes me feel like Mr Gadget which is not a good image for me. Fine for my Dad but not me.
- as has been mentioned multiple times on this forum and maybe this thread, many of us he AVE worn Libre (and other CGM) for years and taken them through hundreds of mental detector arches without any problems. I confess I have not taken them through the full body scan x-rays because I know not to take my insulin pump through there.
- the pouches for cooling insulin are From. These have been around for at least 20 years.

Nick25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Each to their own, but nothing ensures that your vital supplies go exactly where you go, as well as something attached to you. Yes taking it off for scanning is a nuisance but so is removing shoes , watches etc . - it is not really a big deal.
Pouches are available from Frio.
I am interested to know from others how they by-pass the body scanner, if you do not have a pump. The Libre manual says it damages the sensor, and recommends replacing it - but then they would say that wouldn’t they, at £40 a time.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nick25 you can avoid the body scanner by saying you don't want to use it. The security will scan you with a hand wand. This may take longer as they need someone to do it of your gender.
Security understanding although they may be a little pushy - I think it is extra work for them especially when the airport is very busy. To my knowledge, you don't have to give a reason - some people may be chlostrophobic some may not trust the technology, for example.

Nick25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Nick25 you can avoid the body scanner by saying you don't want to use it. The security will scan you with a hand wand. This may take longer as they need someone to do it of your gender.
Security understanding although they may be a little pushy - I think it is extra work for them especially when the airport is very busy. To my knowledge, you don't have to give a reason - some people may be chlostrophobic some may not trust the technology, for example.
Thanks