Travelling with insulin

Salbee86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If anyone can help that would be great. I’m travelling out of the country next week and I am unable to obtain a certificate from my doctor to allow me to carry my insulin and needles on board due to a processing issue their end! I am now concerned I will not be allowed to board…it’s never been an issue in the past but I have always had a letter from the doctor stating I need to carry it. This letter has since been lost due to several moves since I traveled last. Has anyone traveled without a doctors letter? I only have hand luggage so would have to take it on board.

Thanks

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always had a doctor's letter with me, but have never been asked to show it. Do you have a copy of your repeatable items from your doctor's, with the surgery name and address on the top ? I have seen posts from people on this forum who have just taken this on holiday, together with their insulin which should have their name and pharmacy address on the box. A doctor may charge for supplying a letter, whereas one obtained from a hospital DSN is usually free. This info might be useful in the future, if not today.
Welcome to the forums ! I nearly forgot.

D

Deleted member 559951

Hi,

If anyone can help that would be great. I’m travelling out of the country next week and I am unable to obtain a certificate from my doctor to allow me to carry my insulin and needles on board due to a processing issue their end! I am now concerned I will not be allowed to board…it’s never been an issue in the past but I have always had a letter from the doctor stating I need to carry it. This letter has since been lost due to several moves since I traveled last. Has anyone traveled without a doctors letter? I only have hand luggage so would have to take it on board.

Thanks
Are you under a DSN team/clinic? Could you give them a ring and ask them to collect it? We have a generic letter that we give to patients and we simply write what they're taking eg. monitoring equipment/insulin and then sign/date.

Other than that, I'd kick off at your GPs. They're being awkward for no apparent reason.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In nearly 20 years and hundreds of flights, I have been asked about my insulin twice and once was when they were on heightened security due to the "Shoe Bomber" and the other was a concern about my metal insulin pen (which was replaced by a plastic one about a decade ago) so the chance of you being pulled over is very slim. That said, I usually take my tattered letter with me as it lives with my passport.
I think if you can prove the insulin is yours with a copy of your repeat prescription request, you should have no problems.
You also mentioned your needles. I have never ever been asked about needles. They are too small to appear on the x-rays and I see no reason to offer personal medical information to a stranger so no one knows about them.

• Agree
Reactions: Pipp
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It probably depends on your country, but I do not take a letter with me and I have never been asked. I think they know this is sort of standard medication people use.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I've gone through airport security at least a dozen times with insulin and have never been asked for a doctor's letter, though I do have one. If your pens were in a box it should have your name etc on it and that would probably suffice if any questions are asked.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your pens were in a box it should have your name etc on it and that would probably suffice if any questions are asked.
Or, if you use multiple use pens, you carry the box for the cartridges, As I do not take a full box with me (I’ve never been lucky enough to go away for more than a month), I take my cartridges out of the box and flatten it to take up less space. Space saving is important to me when travelling as I dislike large cases and prefer hand luggage only.

marksmedown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over 20 years of travel only 3 times have I had any query. A very inquisitive security guard in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan who insisted on testing my pen with his thumb! Soon waved through. Other two leaving UK where hospital letter and repeat quickly waved were accepted quickly. As others said take repeat and NHS app showing the various health records. Best wishes.

HelenDaff

I have been travelling for over 12 years as a type 1 diabetic now. I always carry my insulin in a Frio Bag (insulin cool bag). I always declare it at security, taking the insulin out and putting it in a clear bag. I've never been asked for a copy of the letter of my GP, good job as I dont carry it anymore, but do have one. I just carry my repeat prescription.
Occasionally, and this happened last week they will pull my tray for extra security checks, but it's usually a drug swipe of the Frio bag. This happened again last week.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been travelling for over 12 years as a type 1 diabetic now. I always carry my insulin in a Frio Bag (insulin cool bag). I always declare it at security, taking the insulin out and putting it in a clear bag. I've never been asked for a copy of the letter of my GP, good job as I dont carry it anymore, but do have one. I just carry my repeat prescription.
Occasionally, and this happened last week they will pull my tray for extra security checks, but it's usually a drug swipe of the Frio bag. This happened again last week.
Hi,

I’ve never had any trouble with my diabetic stuff.

The “drugs swipe” may have actually been for explosives.? I had a swipe of an object flagged up & asked “would this work if switched on?” It wouldn’t unless plugged inline between a guitar & amp..
Forgot to remove the battery from a distortion pedal in my bag?

The Frio. Yep. I can probably understand an explosives check on that..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Frio. Yep. I can probably understand an explosives check on that..
I was told not to "charge" my Frios when traveling as the gel can look suspiciously like explosives.
Therefore, I keep my insulin insulated between clothing in the middle of my bag to keep it cool and have never had a problem with it getting too hot.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I was told not to "charge" my Frios when traveling as the gel can look suspiciously like explosives.
Therefore, I keep my insulin insulated between clothing in the middle of my bag to keep it cool and have never had a problem with it getting too hot.
Not “charging” a frio is interesting. I’ve not heard this and the problem would be travelling anywhere hot.

Travelling from U.K. would be ok, but when preparing to return, we’d need to spend (several) days letting the frio dry out in advance of the flight.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not “charging” a frio is interesting. I’ve not heard this and the problem would be travelling anywhere hot.

Travelling from U.K. would be ok, but when preparing to return, we’d need to spend (several) days letting the frio dry out in advance of the flight.
It is only during the flight (or even to get through security) that "charged" Frio is a concern.
Once arriving, in a hot country the Frio can be "charged".

This is the approach I have taken when travelling to India, Australia, Uganda, Venezuela, Dubai and more with no issues as airports and airlines are air conditioned.

diabetic4ever

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been stopped when traveling. All ive taken is my repeat prescription just in case.
The way I carry my insulin when going abroad is to split it. My wife takes the same as me in case of loss,theft or damage. As long as you can fit the insulin into a bag given to you at security your good.

Jmil

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

If anyone can help that would be great. I’m travelling out of the country next week and I am unable to obtain a certificate from my doctor to allow me to carry my insulin and needles on board due to a processing issue their end! I am now concerned I will not be allowed to board…it’s never been an issue in the past but I have always had a letter from the doctor stating I need to carry it. This letter has since been lost due to several moves since I travelled last. Has anyone traveled without a doctors letter? I only have hand luggage so would have to take it on board.

Thanks
Hi

It is dependant on which country you are travelling to. The only time I have needed the doctors letter is when I went to Thailand.
I carry all medication in my onboard baggage in silicone pouches, however in the past I have used frozen gel pouches packed together with everything in an insulated bag. I travel all over the place over the last 20 years and have only been questioned 3 times. Twice was permission to swab everything for illegal drugs, and the time I travelled within Thailand on an internal flight I was asked to inject if needed before I got on the flight, and not to leave syringes and pens loaded with the needle. Take 2 copies of your prescription with you, one to be kept with the insulin and one you carry on your person. I hope this helps :)