Treating hypos

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey, seem to have most of my hypos around 6-7 when I wake what does everyone find the quickest way to treat hypo I normally have 3-4 jelly babies depending on levels but find they can take a while to rise and then before I feel ok to start getting ready for work etc

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are hypoing on waking, so I'm assuming that's before you bolus for breakfast, that suggests your basal insulin might be too high.

You should basal test and consider reductions to your basal dosage.

A liquid hypo treatment might work a little faster, so something like fruit juice or coke, or a glucojuice shot.

Reactions: Tracyann35

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lucozade or regular Coke or Pepsi works quickest, I find. Dextrose tablets are my second choice.

But if these hypis are a regular occurence, then your basal might need adjusting as Catapillar says.

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Guys yeah might need to look at adjusting, where can I get glucojuice? Had that when had early stages DKa they gave me that in hospital boots maybe?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Guys yeah might need to look at adjusting, where can I get glucojuice? Had that when had early stages DKa they gave me that in hospital boots maybe?

Boots do sell it, I get mine from Amazon as it works out cheaper if you purchase 12 bottles.

To prevent the hypo's occurring adjust your basal rate, I'd do this at 4am if going hypo at 6am.

matchless

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I agree with the above about adjusting your basal , I live in France and when at home I use a sugar syrup which I buy in litr bottles but when I am out I always carry Glucostabs that come in 10 tab tubes but I buy 6x50 tabs on eBay which is more economical and keep the 10 tabs tube filled hope this helps .

Sent from my P01MA using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I use orange juice but whatever I use I find that it takes a while in early morning. I tend to just go back to sleep again rather than stress about it if possible.