Treatment is getting worse

pavmas

Diagnoised type 1' two and a half years ago saw diabetic nurse and then had habc1 done 3 months later then 6 months and six months again for habc1.
Last appointment was in Sep 09, doctor said I'll see you in 6 months, appointment came in for april 2010, now I asume they must be using a mayan callander because I make that 7 months acutally nearly 8 because it was the beginning of sep and the end of april.

Was told that the dieatician would send me an appointment within 6 weeks two and a half years later im still waiting despite me mentioning it every time I go there.

First and second time they sent me a lift of my habc1 colestorel etc but never bothered last time.

The last time I went was a total waste of time and i am considering getting a habc1 kit from ebay and just doing it myself.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi pavmas, sorry to hear your having problems with your PCT's diabetic care. As for getting a dieticians appointment if you write to them requesting one you might find the appointment materialises its surprising what the written word can do.

A letter may also get you your A1c results for you too.

ally5555

Hi

I can understand the 6 month appt - some clinics are overrun!

however you should be getting the HBA1 done every 3-6 months and my guess is they haven't written a letter to the Dietitian - ring the local dept and ask if they have had a letter. If they haven't go back to the surgery and ask to see the GP in charge of diabetes and discuss your treatment plan.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you want an appointment every 3 months (like I believe you should have) then insist on it! And I would contact the dietician directly too, with a copy of the letter for your GP and Diabetic team, requesting an appointment.

pavmas

Thanks for your replies but on the dietican bit I think i'll give a miss as after 2 years Ive managed to find out all i need from forums such as this.
The six months for blood testing seems ok to me as I have good control but stretching it to nearer 8 seems a bit much to me.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
pavmas
My PCT organises 1 check up per year for Hba1c and other blood chemisry,feet, eyes etc..
I request one in the middle of that timeframe and organise it myself. I've just had my annual review and have already got the laboratory card for my next blood tests in my handbag. I'll finalise an appointment about a month ahead of time.
I also have a print out of ALL my blood tests for the last 6 years.
I asked for it all
I've even managed to snaffle a podiatry appointment.
Hana

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
TBO pavmas as a Type 1 I guess you checking your bg levels yourself fairly frequently so the A1c is only going to confirm what you already know :D