Treats

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have sweet treats at all? If so how often? I am trying to work out if it's best to cut them altogether and find other treats.

Jo123

I have the occasional piece of 90% chocolate.
I also have a small slice of nigellas chocolate olive oil cake (Google it) made with xylitol.
Don't see the point of eating a carby sweet treat.

Reactions: Shirley64

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the occasional piece of 90% chocolate.
I also have a small slice of nigellas chocolate olive oil cake (Google it) made with xylitol.
Don't see the point of eating a carby sweet treat.
Yes I think you might be right. I am falling into the trap of oh 1 piece won't hurt from people who don't have type 2 diabetes. People seem to think it's something and nothing.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I am falling into the trap of oh 1 piece won't hurt from people who don't have type 2 diabetes

If they don't have T2 they are right, one or even several pieces won't hurt them.
Their attempt to get you to join them in their so called "treat" probably tells you more about their insecurities than yours.(if she can refuse this high calorie treat why can't I)
If you are a non smoker and someone urged you to have a cigarette you would have no trouble refusing.
Why should cake, biscuits or chocolate be any different

It really does make this T2 malarkey much simpler if you can get rid of your sweet tooth and change your relationship with food.
For me a treat is a visit to the theatre or a day out with my grandchildren not eating something I know is doing me harm.

People seem to think it's something and nothing.

Why should what other people think affect your choices, it's your diabetes and your health, not theirs.

D

Deleted member 543160

You could try telling them you're carbohydrate intolerant (which is true) and see if that puts paid to their ignorant attempts at persuasion?

I eat small potions of 85-90% dark chocolate, which is actually good for me so not actually a "treat", and I do my own low carb baking and use acceptable alternative sweeteners (erythritol & Stevia) - but I consider this as part of my low carb diet, and I'm not being tempted by things I shouldn't eat! I have been known very rarely to "comfort eat" sweet things but normally I choose to avoid any high carb/sugar food - so called "treats" or otherwise.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have sweet treats at all? If so how often? I am trying to work out if it's best to cut them altogether and find other treats.

Give them up totally for three months and you'll likely find you never want them again.

And your health will love you for it.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
You get the people who will say " go on a little bit of what fancy won't do you no harm " and on the odd occasion it won't, but I look at them and sometimes think well it's looks as if it might of done you some harm !

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It looks like I’m in the minority here, I have always had a sweet tooth and still eat sweet foods! I eat a sugar free jelly after dinner most nights, I eat sweet treats from a company called Deliciously Guilt Free and very dark chocolate: 85% or above.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped regarding food as "treats" many years ago, long before T2 diagnosis, because I've always struggled with my weight. Since keto it's no struggle at all, but I appreciate not everyone finds this works for them. I am not the kind of person who can have just one square of chocolate or two raspberries, therefore these things no longer exist in my world. There are plenty of lovely things to eat that fit in with keto, and I don't need to restrict them.

I am not a parent, but think we do our children a grave misservice by linking food with treat/rewards/whatever in their minds. It can take a lifetime to undo.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another @Rachox . I have diet jelly and cream and other low carb sweet stuff. I set of hoped my sweet tooth would go but no.' I still keep under 20 grams of carbs a day usually much less. :)

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Give them up totally for three months and you'll likely find you never want them again.

And your health will love you for it.
I like this idea. I gave up sugar in my hots drink years ago now it tastes awful.

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It looks like I’m in the minority here, I have always had a sweet tooth and still eat sweet foods! I eat a sugar free jelly after dinner most nights, I eat sweet treats from a company called Deliciously Guilt Free and very dark chocolate: 85% or above.
It's about finding what's works for you. I think talking about it good there's no right or wrong way.

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped regarding food as "treats" many years ago, long before T2 diagnosis, because I've always struggled with my weight.
As I was typing the question I thought I don't like thinking of food as treats the same as I don't like the word diet.

Shirley64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm another @Rachox . I have diet jelly and cream and other low carb sweet stuff. I set of hoped my sweet tooth would go but no.' I still keep under 20 grams of carbs a day usually much less. :)
My hardest thing is I enjoy food.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too,' I just ensure that my food is making me healthier and not sicker.

Me three! Nothing wrong with enjoying whatever we eat, and no need to think the only way to stick to a healthy diet is to be indifferent to food.