Tresiba

Vicky19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was wondering when do people take there long lasting insulin. I’m currently taking mine about 10pm at night but I find my level are always high from about 7pm. I’m thinking is changing it to the morning. Do people find there levels are better at doing the injection in the morning rather then at night time?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was wondering when do people take there long lasting insulin. I’m currently taking mine about 10pm at night but I find my level are always high from about 7pm. I’m thinking is changing it to the morning. Do people find there levels are better at doing the injection in the morning rather then at night time?
It depends a lot on which long acting insulin you are on:

Levemir: Most people need to split doses morning and night because it usually doesn't cover 24 hours.
Lantus/glargine: Doesn't work the full 24 hours for many. Some deal with this by splitting doses morning and night, some by increasing their mealtime insulin during the last hours before their next injection.
Tresiba: Very long acting, almost nobody splits and it is forgiving when varying the time of injecting.

And to reply to your question, I use Tresiba and take it before I turn off the lights, can be any time between 10:30 PM and 5:30 AM, usually between midnight and 2AM.

Reactions: oldgreymare