Trialling the vibe in 2 weeks!

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, after almost 2 years of MDI, we asked about the possibility of pumping and we're trying it with saline 13th September. I only asked about it 2 days ago...eeek! If all goes well they're ordering the vibe for my 6 year old daughter and she could have it in a month or so. Exciting times! Any tips, advice, experiences of the vibe? It's all moving very quickly!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a Vibe and love it @CathP :)

My advice is to get as many different sets and cannulas to,try as you can. The free ones they give you tend to be the most expensive ones because they're hoping you'll be ordering those, but there are a number of different ones available. Do ask your DSN for info. They have manual sets as well as the automatic inserting ones. I use the manual sets.

The Vibe is a cool, robust pump. Mine's survived trampling and pulling by my toddler and is fine :) Get the clip attached to,it as I use that most (to clip it to my waistband). You could also look for cute child-friendly cases online.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @azure would the weight of the pump be too much if clipped to the waist band of leggings on a very small 6 year old? I imagine it pulling her leggings straight down! I don't know whether we should get her a pump belt for the trial just in case?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @azure would the weight of the pump be too much if clipped to the waist band of leggings on a very small 6 year old? I imagine it pulling her leggings straight down! I don't know whether we should get her a pump belt for the trial just in case?

It depends how loose/soft the elastic is on them. I clip mine to leggings but they have a strong elastic waistband. I suspect little children's leggings might not work so well. It's not so much that it pulls the leggings down, more that it hangs forward kind of floppily if the elastic is loose/weak.

A soft pump belt would be a good idea. You could also use it in bed :)

Reactions: CathP

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wear mine in a Spi-belt at night, but I find the clasp a PITA for wearing during the day. I would recommend the Hid-in - they're so, so comfy, soft and secure, with a very clever fastening which doesn't get in the way.

There is a VERY cute new panda one for kids........!

http://www.hid-in.com/

Reactions: CathP
D

Deleted Account

I have a Vibe and find it fine to clip to the belt of my jeans but if I clip it to a waist band of leggings or skirt, I find it drags them down unless they are very tight (e.g. lycra running tights).
This does not have to be seen as a bad thing - I think for a six year old you could turn it around to something positive.
Let me explain ... As a vain woman, I hate it when you can see my pump. This is not just seeing the screen and buttons, it is also seeing the bulge from the pump. Unfortunately, there are very very few ways for me to comfortably hide the bulge: a pump belt hides no bumps. I imagine the same is true of a six year old. Except, I hope they are not as vain as me. If I was a kid, I think I would like the opportunity to wear some funky pump belts. You will need more than one so you have a spare when you wash it. Why not get a selection (and maybe make the purchase of more a reward for doing well with the pump) and give your daughter a chance to choose which one to wear each day. Another advantage of this is the belts are better at keeping the tubing out of the way.

iHs

I usually wear a lycra stretch type bra or keep my Vibe in the top part of high waist lycra stretch knickers and that works fairly well and keeps the pump safe. The Vibe is small but heavy but I can keep it vertical in the centre of my bra or horizontal in the top part of my knickers. It has a good pump clip and I can also clip it vertical to the inside of leggings or jeans. Recently, I bought a Hid-in waist band body belt which has a see thru window at D event. It's made for the 640G but the Vibe fits in it ok and yes, it's very comfortable and I don't really know that I've got it on. I'm also a bit vain and have to think a bit what clothes I can wear that will allow me to get to the pump. If I use the Hid-in, I turn it so the pump is at the back so unless someone looks at me from behind they don't notice it. The pumps with a remote are the best though especially if female

Last edited: