Tricky one...

sadsocks

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter who is Type 1 and currently well controlled has had 2 UTIs in the last month ( both treated with antibiotics) and now feels that another could be on the way. We have cystitis relief sachets in the house, which I thought she could use in the short term, but the packets say that they are not suitable for diabetics. Can anyone enlighten me as to why not? Thanks

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not type 1, so please just take this as incidental info until someone who knows more about this chips in, but sometimes 'not suitable for diabetics' is a disclaimer they put on everything, just in case someone has a mishap: it appears on Scholl insoles, for example. As far as your cystitis sachets go, it could just be that they are full of sucrose. HOWEVER, please check with other users or a doctor in case it really is something else. It might help if you can put up the brand name or components of the sachets.

Reactions: sadsocks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not that a person with diabetes can't use them. It's that they want you to see a doctor before using them to check if you have a full blown bacterial uti that requires treatment with antibiotics. Diabetics are apparently more prone, so should get checked, take a urine sample to the doctors tomorrow so they can check what antibiotics are needed to treat. If she needs something to treat it now I don't think using the sachets will hurt, but it also won't really treat it if it's bacterial and requires antibiotics, it'll just soothe the symptoms and when you stop taking it will flare back up again, which is why they say diabetics should see a doctor first.

Reactions: sadsocks

sadsocks

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies. I took a sample in this morning to test to see if she was clear after the last antibiotics, so if anything was starting up, I should show in that. I’ve told her to take the sachets for 24hours and then we will take another sample in. She’s very fed up