Type 2 Trigger finger and diabetes

nannoo_bird

Does anyone know if controlling diabetes really well would reduce the pain and inflammation of trigger finger? In my case, trigger fingers, as it is affecting two fingers on each hand, and is getting worse. Would really appreciate your input, thanks.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have no idea but "controlling diabetes really well" is generally the best thing you can do.

Reactions: britishpub

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know if controlling diabetes really well would reduce the pain and inflammation of trigger finger? In my case, trigger fingers, as it is affecting two fingers on each hand, and is getting worse. Would really appreciate your input, thanks.
Hi
I have trigger finger which I've had for about 6 years. Its weird as I have to move my finger when it "catches". But I'm used to now. Over the years I've had soreness and inflammation in my trigger finger, both wrists and knees, which I put down to getting old (I'm 39 LOL). I was also unable to make a fist in my left hand for the last 10 years, which a consultant helpfully told me will improve with better control (and didn't give any advice as to how to do that). Anyway, after LCHF for 8 months, I am now able to make a fist. I noticed it last week, thought I'd try. It's just a small thing but made me really happy ;). So, in my experience, LCHF and the resulting near normal glucose levels does reduce pain and inflammation. Still have a weird clicky knee though.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

nannoo_bird

Sid, of course controlling glucose levels is the best thing for diabetes, but I was specifically asking with regard to inflammation.

Peppergirl, thank you for your really helpful response. I am starting (again) the Blood Sugar diet tomorrow, which I found amazing for normalizing my blood sugar, but I have a complicated problem with carbs, sugar in particular - I comfort-eat!!! So along with all the other positive stuff the diet will bring, I am hoping that it will help my trigger fingers. I do not want to have to take any more chemicals. Hope yours continues to improve.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sid, of course controlling glucose levels is the best thing for diabetes, but I was specifically asking with regard to inflammation.

Peppergirl, thank you for your really helpful response. I am starting (again) the Blood Sugar diet tomorrow, which I found amazing for normalizing my blood sugar, but I have a complicated problem with carbs, sugar in particular - I comfort-eat!!! So along with all the other positive stuff the diet will bring, I am hoping that it will help my trigger fingers. I do not want to have to take any more chemicals. Hope yours continues to improve.

I hope the change in diet helps you, good luck.

I also was a massive comfort eater, especially crisps and sandwiches (and my weight testifies to that). And high HbA1Cs for years...

nannoo_bird

I hope the change in diet helps you, good luck.

I also was a massive comfort eater, especially crisps and sandwiches (and my weight testifies to that). And high HbA1Cs for years...

How did you finally turn your diet around? I find it so hard - I give in to my cravings, then beat myself up because I think I'm a failure. Also, my HbA1c is way too high. I know what to do, but I find it so hard to put it into practice.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have had type 1 for 44 years and have suffered with "trigger finger" in 5 fingers so far.
( 3 on left hand , 2 on right hand )

I have had cortisone injections which relieve the pain and the trigger for about 6- 9 months but ultimately have had surgery on all 5.

Not sure on the control aspect - my control has always been pretty good and I developed the first trigger finger within a couple of weeks of original diagnosis.
Right now my left hand pinky finger is just starting to show signs of developing :( but only slightly so far.
my HbA1c's for the past 10 years have always been between 5.7% - 6.5%

Reactions: nannoo_bird

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
In answer to your original question, the answer from my experience is a resounding yes. I had trigger finger (two on one hand and one on the other) and it took about six months after starting a very low carb diet but it finally went.

What did help to reduce the pain when I had it was some Velcro fastening finger splints I got from eBay.

Reactions: Peppergirl

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did you finally turn your diet around? I find it so hard - I give in to my cravings, then beat myself up because I think I'm a failure. Also, my HbA1c is way too high. I know what to do, but I find it so hard to put it into practice.

I know exactly what you mean. Having tried low carb off and on over the years, I either gradually drifted back to full carb binge or not so gradually when I was upset or stressed, which was most of the time.

It used to really bother me about my joint problems, trigger finger, inflammation and pain, as all I could see in the future was mobility issues.

However, last June, after being misdiagnosed with brain cancer, I just had to do something radical. I had about three months off work with anxiety following the misdiagnosis, practically unable to walk for a month due to muscle tension, which I was concerned may have been diabetes complications or a stroke or MS. That gave me time to focus on my diabetes control. As I was undiagnosed at that time, but told I had brain lesions and areas of inflammation, I was expecting a diagnosis of MS, but no, it was a one off episode. Don't know what caused it. All I know is that I cannot trust doctors and will always get a second, third and fourth opinion. Probably a fifth as well.

So the time off gave me the opportunity to make the decision to fully go LCHF and rigorously manage my BG control. I joined this forum which has been so helpful and also read as much as possible about my diabetes. Also LCHF doesn't make me hungry at all. There's loads of great low carb meals. I now cannot imagine eating pasta, bread or crisps. I have no cravings whatsoever now. I am just angry at the time I wasted, but at least I can now see a way forward.

I know that some people have 80-120g of carbs and are OK on a moderate carb consumption. But I know I am addicted to sugar and can just eat and eat and eat bread and crisps. So I need to stay away. And the very very stable BG results is something I have to have now, I absolutely love that I'm not worrying about my levels (thanks to Libre). When I have the odd unexpected reading, I now try and work out why, not dissolve into OMG I'm cr*p, which was the pattern of the last 25 years.

I live in hope that nothing gets in the way of me doing this, but I am realistic. It's been eight months, with maybe a handful of days in the early days, when I ate carbs/potatoes, where I have been LCHF. What's interesting for me is that, having relented and ate carbs, I used to think well, might as well have a binge and go back to low carb at the start of the week. But I just went straight back onto low carb. I am amazed that I feel so well on it. It's surprising how bad I felt before, thinking that was normal.

I know it's difficult to change your eating so radically. I always knew I would have a trigger, prompting me to change my ways. I had nightmares about this happening after a problem with my eyes, but luckily it was the incompetence of the NHS which made me change. I'm hoping, but realistic, that any major issues are way off now.

Best of luck to you.

nannoo_bird

Peppergirl, wow. There is so much in your post that I can relate to. Rather than put it all on here, is it OK for me to PM you? I might not have the time today, but I would be so interested in talking to you.