Trouble losing weight

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so disappointed. I have thrown myself into this wholeheartedly and yesterday started a new tough exercise regime too so was expecting great things on the scales this morning but...zilch. Not a single ounce. I feel slimmer and I know the thing about muscle weighing more than fat but could there be something else going on?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am no expert at weight loss as I love my grub and don't exercise enough but are you expecting to see a loss of weight only after one day......?

weighing yourself more than once a week will drive your crazy in my opinion.....

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have being doing this for about three weeks and the scale has barely moved. I decided to up my exercise massively to see if it would help so...yes I was expecting to see weight loss! I know I should stay off the scales and wish I hadn't got on this morning :-(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have being doing this for about three weeks and the scale has barely moved. I decided to up my exercise massively to see if it would help so...yes I was expecting to see weight loss! I know I should stay off the scales and wish I hadn't got on this morning :-(
Can I just ask what you have been doing for the past 3 weeks? LCHF, keto, moderate low carb? And what have your blood sugar levels been like?

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just ask what you have been doing for the past 3 weeks? LCHF, keto, moderate low carb? And what have your blood sugar levels been like?

At first I was just doing what I had read I should be doing (low carb, no sugar, no acohol, some seeds/nuts and sweet potatoes). However nothing much was happening so I cut the sweet potatoes and nuts out. Still nothing! So after reading exercise is good for prediabetes I did loads. Not sure what's going on with my blood sugar levels as I'm still waiting for my meter. I have never been so determined to lose weight and eat well and hopefully reverse the prediabetes thing and nothing seems to be working!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes time for some of us. In the mean time, at least your change of diet will help you blood sugar levels, which is the most important thing.

How much weight do you have to lose?

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes time for some of us. In the mean time, at least your change of diet will help you blood sugar levels, which is the most important thing.

How much weight do you have to lose?

First of all, I am aiming for 10% of my body weight as I've read that can sometimes do the trick but in total I could really do with losing about 3 stone :-(

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At first I was just doing what I had read I should be doing (low carb, no sugar, no acohol, some seeds/nuts and sweet potatoes). However nothing much was happening so I cut the sweet potatoes and nuts out. Still nothing! So after reading exercise is good for prediabetes I did loads. Not sure what's going on with my blood sugar levels as I'm still waiting for my meter. I have never been so determined to lose weight and eat well and hopefully reverse the prediabetes thing and nothing seems to be working!
I think you will need to give it time. Throwing yourself into vigorous exercise isn't usually a great way to loose weight.. I'd just carry on adjusting your eating. Diet is far more important and needs to be sustainable. Are you keeping a food diary? I weigh myself every day too but have now got used to the usual ups and downs don't fret it will happen.

Reactions: eggs11 and EllieM

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - ever read William Banting's Letter on Corpulence? He self published it in the mid 1800s and he describes his efforts to lower his weight according to conventional advice - at one point he took up rowing, which improved his appetite no end, but his weight problem remained.
Diabetes seems to promote weight gain and retention, and it appears to be a symptom rather than a cause, but by going low carb I seem to have reversed things, am losing weight and regaining energy - but things such as sweet potato are not on my menu. They are far above the percentage of carbs I allow myself.
Perhaps if you review your diet first, to check for sources of carbs it would help you determine if you are overdoing them.
I find that strenuous exercise elevates my blood glucose, which triggers insulin release, so perhaps something less energetic done for a couple of half hour sessions would be more effective.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
was expecting great things on the scales this morning but...zilch. Not a single ounce.
Hi cmor,
The thing your losing sight of here is you haven't gained any weight that's huge. :)

If your not gaining weight and your exercising then the weight should start to drop off, nothing ever works the way we want it to or as fast. I lost about 2 inches (cut 2 extra holes into my belt) in about 3 months which is ridiculously slow.

Especially when you hear that I went from a 48in waist to 34in in a couple of months without any exercise just cutting out sugar.

Like you I expected miraculous results when I started exercising I expected to lose the next couple of inches in a week, because I was exercising and changed to a keto diet.

I felt very cheated that this did not happen. :meh:

But like everything here it's about life choices not quick fixes.
I'm still losing abdominal fat and starting to put on muscle which is the goal. It's taken a couple of weeks longer than expected BUT I'll be doing this for the rest of my life SO what's a couple of weeks when you think about it.

When you exercise you cause micro damage to the muscles which the body knits back together over night, and muscles weigh more than fat as you said, this does not mean it's not working. You say your feeling slimmer.

My advice is trust your mirror.;)
:bag:

Reactions: cmor16

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you will need to give it time. Throwing yourself into vigorous exercise isn't usually a great way to loose weight.. I'd just carry on adjusting your eating. Diet is far more important and needs to be sustainable. Are you keeping a food diary? I weigh myself every day too but have now got used to the usual ups and downs don't fret it will happen.

I am logging everything in Myfitnesspal. What I'm doing isn't especially "vigorous". We have a massively long steep drive (if I walked it I always had to rest at the top) but yesterday I did that up and down then 2 laps of the garden x 5, split throughout the day. It probably doesn't sound that much but trust me it's a killer! My clothes feel looser and my husband reckons I look slimmer so I think I need to keep off the scales for a while and see what happens.
My meter came today so it will be interesting to see what that throws up too.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi cmor,
The thing your losing sight of here is you haven't gained any weight that's huge. :)

If your not gaining weight and your exercising then the weight should start to drop off, nothing ever works the way we want it to or as fast. I lost about 2 inches (cut 2 extra holes into my belt) in about 3 months which is ridiculously slow.

Especially when you hear that I went from a 48in waist to 34in in a couple of months without any exercise just cutting out sugar.

Like you I expected miraculous results when I started exercising I expected to lose the next couple of inches in a week, because I was exercising and changed to a keto diet.

I felt very cheated that this did not happen. :meh:

But like everything here it's about life choices not quick fixes.
I'm still losing abdominal fat and starting to put on muscle which is the goal. It's taken a couple of weeks longer than expected BUT I'll be doing this for the rest of my life SO what's a couple of weeks when you think about it.

When you exercise you cause micro damage to the muscles which the body knits back together over night, and muscles weigh more than fat as you said, this does not mean it's not working. You say your feeling slimmer.

My advice is trust your mirror.;)
:bag:

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that, it's given me a bit of encouragement. Like you say this is for life so I have to do it no matter what anyway. It would just be nice to see the scales move a bit!

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started off really well, doing 5:2 incorporating low carb/high fat, lost a stone and half then hit a plateau, despite still doing the same and lots of speed walking, however, I have now been told that I have hit that stage in life that women get to and so the weight is even harder to shift! on the plus, I am still off diabetes meds and in control so will continue with this lifestyle.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am logging everything in Myfitnesspal. What I'm doing isn't especially "vigorous". We have a massively long steep drive (if I walked it I always had to rest at the top) but yesterday I did that up and down then 2 laps of the garden x 5, split throughout the day. It probably doesn't sound that much but trust me it's a killer! My clothes feel looser and my husband reckons I look slimmer so I think I need to keep off the scales for a while and see what happens.
You may be building muscle, which weighs heavier than fat, so you wait will remain the same for a bit until your fat loss overtakes your muscle building again.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started off really well, doing 5:2 incorporating low carb/high fat, lost a stone and half then hit a plateau, despite still doing the same and lots of speed walking, however, I have now been told that I have hit that stage in life that women get to and so the weight is even harder to shift! on the plus, I am still off diabetes meds and in control so will continue with this lifestyle.

Congratulations on losing 1.5 stone and getting off meds-that is a great achievement :) In the past when I've done low carb I have lost weight fairly easily but like you I am a lady of a certain age and it definitely does get harder!

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You may be building muscle, which weighs heavier than fat, so you wait will remain the same for a bit until your fat loss overtakes your muscle building again.

I'm hoping this is what's happening. I thought that sort of thing was for proper hard-core fitness freaks!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my scales are broken. I never seem to vary much ...1 to 2 kg maybe at different times of the day.
However friends keep commenting that I've lost weight and I took an old pair of jeans off without undoing them, so something is happening.

cmor16

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my scales are broken. I never seem to vary much ...1 to 2 kg maybe at different times of the day.
However friends keep commenting that I've lost weight and I took an old pair of jeans off without undoing them, so something is happening.

I know the feeling. I've read a few times that 10% weight loss can turn prediabetes around so I am on a mission!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes scales can be misleading.. if clothes are looser and hubs reckon you are simmer then go with that!