Turmeric the next superfood?

benedict

Administrator
Turmeric seems to be the next food getting a lot of press attention.

It appears to have blood sugar lowering properties...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2012/May/turmeric-could-help-in-fight-against-diabetes-91420626.html

...and the BBC yesterday states it having cancer beating properties
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17959521

Much ado about nothing or has this got potential?

Note that people taking anticoagulants, such as warfarin, should seek doctor's advice before having turmeric
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/662.html#DrugInteractions

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Andrew Weil has a supersoup and has sworn by turmeric for years. He puts in all the good stuff in the soup. Seems the powers that be are only just catching up, cos turmeric has been around for centuries.

Jamiesiam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take a turmeric supplement because I have prostate cancer. I'm type 2 diabetic as well. I reckon it has done some good as my metformin dosage has been reduced. I take asprin as well as turmeric for their anti-inflamatory effect on prostate cancer this seems to be working too as I do not need to have the hormone treatment so often either!! :D

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i have heard before that Tumeric can help with lowering BG but do not know the science behind it. Saying that i love tumeric and include it in alot of my cooking!!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Tumeric is a new one on me. BUT - amny curry ingredient that gets the thumbs up is good by me! I don't need an excuse to eat more curry!!! :thumbup:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Curry is still VERY much on the menu in my house,minus Naan bread and only a tiny amount of the rice but I fill my boots on Sheek kebabs and onion salad instead to make up for it,Chinese I've tried but it puts my levels through the roof so only homecooked stir fry now.I heard about the anti cancer properties of Tumeric a few years ago,about the same time they were saying Blueberry Juice had properties that may prevent prostate cancer.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
During my research, I've come across large amounts of information that tie T2 Diabetes and some cancers. At one point, I was almost convinced that T2 was a type of cancer that our body can deal with on a long(er?) term basis.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Hi Patch!

What cancers were linked with Diabetes out of interest? The HCP's info only covered eyes and feet and I've since found out there's a whole array of other complications to contend with,some I've developed myself and learned the hard way without going into too much detail! :oops: