Two Points...

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read that it's best if Bg rises by no more that two points after eating. I'm embarrassed to ask this, but does that mean if Bg is 6.0 before eating, it should rise to more than 8.0? Or 6.2? Oh, how I wish I knew this and didn't have to ask!

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I've read that it's best if Bg rises by no more that two points after eating. I'm embarrassed to ask this, but does that mean if Bg is 6.0 before eating, it should rise to more than 8.0? Or 6.2? Oh, how I wish I knew this and didn't have to ask!
Hedonista, I have read in some books that postprandrial should not exceed 10 after 2hrs. but in normal circumstances 7-8 is acceptable. I think we need an actuary or statistician to help with diabetes counting.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, what I go by is no more than 2 mmols after 2 hours.
Everybody spikes differently at different rates. But you should be normailising after 2 hours.
This gives you a baseline to record your readings so that you compare what you've ate and how it affects you.
Do you keep a food diary? If so put your pre and post par dial results with what you ate.after you have ate the same meal and experimenting with different foods, you will see a pattern and recognise the foods that raises your blood sglucose levels too much.
This way, you will gain control and you won't have to worry about what or what not to eat.

Hope this helps.

There is no stupid questions only stupid answers.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It's far better to feel a little embarrassed than to remain in the dark! A two point rise would be from 6 to 8. but if you can manage a dinky little rise from 6 to 6.2 you'll be on a winning streak! :p

Robbity

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Certainly under 7 if you can manage it. 7.5 is my max but I just don't get those figs anymore. Nowhere near it