TWW & spiking

Shady-Twist

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I'm T2 and control my sugars really well thru a low carb diet, exercise and metformin. I'm currently in the dreaded TWW. The last couple of days I have had massive spikes (for me) out of the blue. For example, one time was after eating a few nuts and one time was out of the blue and I hadn't eaten for 3 hours or so. Could this be hormonal? Thanks :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Shady-Twist, what does "TWW" mean? :)

Both my fasting and pre-meal blood glucose readings are higher than normal right now, and I'm having brief bouts where I suddenly feel hot. I suspect a hormonal change, because I have subclinical hyperthyroidism and have been bouncing in and out of peri-menopause again, but not sure. Stress levels are low, as they have been for sometime now because I've taken six month break from work.

Additionally, I haven't been walking as much for last two weeks. That could be why too.

Common causes of spikes are too much protein or not eating meals with similar amounts of carbs at the same time each day. Sometimes with blood glucose spikes there's no rhyme or reason to it, and it's a transient problem. My only other thought is are you eating a protein, fat, and carb at each meal and snack?

I'm on no medication. I eat meat, poultry, fish, seafood, and eggs; a variety of healthy fats including, butter, extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, macadamia oil, and coconut oil; nuts, avocado, and green olives; non-starchy, above ground vegetables; and small amounts of berries. I greatly limit starchy vegetables and legumes. I eat no grains, no fruit, no sugar, and am temporarily eliminating all hard and soft cheeses, cream, and yogurt due to an unresolved ulcerative colitis flare. I also have eliminated all vegetable oils from my diet.

Hope you're able to sort this out. :)

Shady-Twist

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks both, yeah TWW is two week wait. I have seen it a lot on other forums so assumed it was a common acronym! sorry! My diet hasn't changed at all. Its low carb, medium to high fat. I can maintain my sugars at around 6.5 with it, my last HBA1C was 42 (6). But the last couple of days I go up to 11 just out of the blue, eating what I normally eat and one time after eating nothing! I hope I'm pregnant and it's hormones, otherwise I have no explanation for it!

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both, yeah TWW is two week wait. I have seen it a lot on other forums so assumed it was a common acronym! sorry! My diet hasn't changed at all. Its low carb, medium to high fat. I can maintain my sugars at around 6.5 with it, my last HBA1C was 42 (6). But the last couple of days I go up to 11 just out of the blue, eating what I normally eat and one time after eating nothing! I hope I'm pregnant and it's hormones, otherwise I have no explanation for it!

Good luck with your TWW :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

any chance you could be brewing a cold/virus/bug or another kind of infection?

that can often send the blood glucose higher while the body fights it off

- and congratulations on your excellent control and hba1c :)

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops, didn't note that you'd posted in the pregnancy area of the forum. Hope that's the explanation. :)

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is exactly what happens to me in early pregnancy. 1st sign that makes me think I could be! Good luck!